Author Topic: Lilac Questions  (Read 1146 times)

Offline mmattockx

Lilac Questions
« on: June 19, 2020, 12:51:26 pm »
We have a fairly large row of lilac bushes on our property and they need some thinning and pruning, so I thought I would take the opportunity to try and get some bow wood out of it. From searching here it seems lilac is highly regarded as a bow wood and is very challenging to harvest and dry without cracking and checking.

1) What do I seal the ends with? I have leftover latex house paint around, is that suitable?
2) I draw 28". I like bows around 40-45#. How big does the stave need to be to accommodate that? I've seen references to it being similar to osage in that you don't need much wood to make a bow and would like to know what size of pieces I should be looking at keeping.
3) I can pick pieces now and then wait until fall to harvest. Is that better than harvesting now while the sap is up? If I cut in the fall it will be sealed up and left in a shed over winter for initial drying, is that OK?
4) Since the pieces will be short from the looks of it, how should I prep it into billets for future use? Dry with the bark on and then cut billets next year?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: Lilac Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 10:50:13 pm »
I'd cut it in the fall while the sap is down. Seal with glue, paint
Shellac or wax. I've read that lilac is hard, but have never seen a bow from it. Post pics when you can.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 11:01:51 pm »
This is what I would do:
1.) seal ends with wood glue
2.) min 58" for a bendy, 66" for a stiff handle
3.) harvest in spring > easy to debark, seal the whole stave with oil or shellac. Harvest in winter > let the bark on seal the sides and belly with oil or shellac. Leaving in a not windy shed is o.k.
4.) if you have time, seal ends with glue and split next year. watch for buggers!

Lilac is great bow wood!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 11:33:33 pm »
I cut one.  It checks fast and hard. wrap the stave in plastic wrap to slow the drying process.