Author Topic: Working on one for my brother, how's she look so far?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Working on one for my brother, how's she look so far?
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:52:34 pm »
My big meathead brother's been at me for a while now to help him make another bow.  He said he wanted a "stout one".
  Well I don't have a very good record for making bows much over 50#. >:(
  But on this one, I got it!
  It's 62" ntn 1-1/2" wide and is pulling 63#@28".  He draws 29" and was wanting about  60-63#. I figure by the time I sand it and shoot it in, it should be close.
  It started with about 2" of reflex and is standing dead straight right after unstringing.
  I'm pretty happy with that.
  How's the tiller look to some of you with more experienced eyes?     Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Working on one for my brother, how's she look so far?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:06:31 am »
i surely aint an experienced guy, but from my eyes tiller looks pretty good, and the bow itself looks great
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 12:10:48 am »
Well Shannon - I knew I'd be lookin at a pretty peice of bending wood before I even opened this one up and was not let down ;D. I think she's looking somewhere in the neighborhood of about perfect so far ;D, purty yalla wood!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:22:38 am »
Thanks Hunter and Cowboy :)  She still has some work to be done though. The handle is still full size and the tips are just roughed out.  I need to decide which limbs are gonna be the top and bottom.  He wanted to have it finished for the classic and it looks like we'll be cutting it close.  The one I finished for myself looks good, but has a flaw in the lower limb that I won't be able to fix by then.
  This is the first full sized, straight limbed bow I've ever made, so I'm satisfied so far with it.
  Tomorrow, I'll get to shoot it some and hopefully try get the handle and tips shaped.
  I'll get some pictures of it posted when I finish it.
  See you in a week Cowboy!  Man, I can't wait!!!    Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:27:28 am »
Shannon, Looks pretty good to me. I'd make the left limb the top It seems to bend more.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:44:11 am »
Looks really good. Thought it's going to start to stack if drawn much further.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 02:21:56 am »
I'm with Gordon. You might want to turn the tips up a little to get a better string angle or you might get some serious stacking.  The tiller looks great though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:05:55 am »
Looks great Shannon but yea flip them tips just a little like Justin and Gordon said.
See ya at pappy's eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:52:11 am »
that is one amazing bend.  i can't beleive what this wood will endure before taking set.  excellent workmanship on tillering.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 03:56:37 pm »
Looks good. If you need more draw length then work the near handle wood more. Needs to bend more there. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!