Author Topic: Hawthorn- cleave or saw?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Hawthorn- cleave or saw?
« on: June 06, 2020, 02:17:13 pm »
It looked longer in the tree, I thought it was a 6ft+, clean, length of straight hawthorn.  Well it was none of those things once felled. Still 65inches,  basically straight, mostly clean pretty much as good as hawthorn gets and thick enough for at least 2 bows,. I think hawthorn might not be easy to cleave? Anyone any experience with splitting it?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:59:33 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Re: Hawthorn- cleave or saw?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 02:54:54 pm »
I think you can better Saw It since lot of pin knots where the split van change in direction

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 02:55:50 pm »
If it is like most hawthorn I've seen it grows spiraled. If that's so sawing will still give you a spiral bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 03:19:00 pm »
If it is like most hawthorn I've seen it grows spiraled. If that's so sawing will still give you a spiral bow.
how is that so?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:32:43 pm »
When you split out a stave the split follows the grain. When you saw a stave and the growth is spiraled it like using a board with grain run offs. If the growth is straight sawing is ok and generally doesn't violate the grain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 04:16:17 am »
I think of it as asking if the tree wants to be a bow. Little or no spiral is bow-wood, heavy spiral is carving timber. I always cleave,  but a heavily interlocked timber is really hard work to split and often doesn't want to follow the grain, so does anyone know if that applies in this case?

Offline meanewood

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:35:35 pm »
I've gained quite a bit of experience with Hawthorn and I would saw it, especially if you think it can produce 2 staves.

When you work it down, watch for hidden pin knots appearing, as they will tear out quite deep.

I reduce the last 2-3 mm using a disc sander and tiller the same way.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 11:00:37 am »
56 inches long, 4x6 inches oval at centre.