Author Topic: Finally got off my arse...  (Read 6566 times)

Offline Tommy D

Re: Finally got off my arse...
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2020, 03:34:03 pm »
Neat idea on the tips. Do you soak the leather in water, glue with TB3 so they conform to shape and then soak with superglue to make them hard?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2020, 04:46:17 pm »
Yes! As I shape the tips and overlays I usually have to continue adding super glue when getting below the saturation point of the super glue in the leather. Once fully shaped and smoother I add one last coat of super glue and sand with fine sand paper. Most bow finish should go over the overlays without problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2020, 05:07:29 pm »
Have you ever tried more than one layer? Like if your leather wasn't thick enough.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2020, 08:47:44 pm »
Yeah, DC. I've used a couple of thicknesses but only oak tanned leather. Belt leather, 6oz to 8oz  works fine. I imagine other types of leathers would work but I have a supply of pre-cut shoe soles left over from my leather shop 40+ years ago so that's what I use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2020, 10:27:15 am »
I got her new string made and she's at full brace and I'll let her sweat for a few hours...

tip overlays almost finished. I'll finish them after the snake skins go on...

arrow rest attached to the handle/sleeve and she'll have a leather wrap on the handle...

I put a couple of dozen shot through her. She shoots well but my arrows aren't quite right for this bow.
To be continued.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2020, 11:20:07 pm »
looks fine Pat!
the leather tips have a nice touch with the multi colored surface.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2020, 09:12:39 pm »
Here's another tease shot. I added a set of western D back skins and got the edges cleaned up. Still need to shoot her about 50 more shots and maybe a bit of tweaking the tiller and of course a few coats Tru-Oil.
Here is the tease shot...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2020, 12:19:53 am »
Very nice!
Can't wait for the FD...
Frank from Germany...