Author Topic: Bamboo species for bows?  (Read 5774 times)

nomdeplume

Bamboo species for bows?
« on: April 26, 2008, 09:18:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

I will be moving into a new home with a front & rear garden soon. I intend to plant a Japanse-style garden in my front one. As I have archery as a hobby, I am curious to try to make my own bamboo bow in my free time.

Can anyone tell me what is the best bamboo species to use for bowmaking, preferably with an online citation? Is madake (Phyllostachys bambusoides) the way to go?

Thanks,
nomdeplume

Offline Jesse

Re: Bamboo species for bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:25:09 pm »
Moso and tonkin are what you see people using a lot but I think as long as its big enough most should work good. Somebody more educated on this will give better advice ;D   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

nomdeplume

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »
Thanks Jesse. Hello from the UK ;D

It would be great if someone can recommend a bamboo nursery in the UK as well, in addition to the species/cultivar to use. I found this site who supply:

Phyllostachys pubescens syn P. edulis Moso-chiku
http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_info.php?id=312

Phyllostachys bambusoides "Holochrysa"
http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_info.php?id=337

But was hoping to shop around for a better deal.

If I wanted my bamboo to grow to form a hedge for privacy around my front lawn, I will need to order several 5 litre plants and plant them in a row around my boundaries, right? Will it be better to buy a larger pot (e.g. 80 litre) and then manually separate the shoots and plant them around my boundary?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:02:29 pm »
Be warned that most bamboos are very invasive. Unless you provide an adequate barrier it will take over your yard and your neighbors :o. Bambusa multiplex is one that is a clumping type and makes excellent arrows. A friend of mine has a 100' hedge of bambusa and I collect culms for arrows when I visit. He separated a 50 year old clump(about 10' in diameter), divided it up and planted the hedge.
   All of the timber bamboo that I know of(4" dia or larger for bow backings) grows in large stands and in Asia covers hillsides and mountain sides. The stands I have seen in South Carolina and Georgia were quit extensive.     Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC