Author Topic: Target practise  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Target practise
« on: June 02, 2020, 09:22:26 am »
As for practising on targets, would It be the same if you shoot a 10 inch circle at 15 yards as you shoot a 20 inch circle at  30 yards? Or is It totally different? I ask that because my garden is only about 10 yards or so but i want to het good at shooting haha

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Target practise
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 09:56:12 am »
Not quite, but just keep making your 10 inch circle smaller as you improve!  (Or maybe shoot your arrows and then draw your target around them >:D  (lol) (SH) :NN)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:35:29 am »
As for practising on targets, would It be the same if you shoot a 10 inch circle at 15 yards as you shoot a 20 inch circle at  30 yards? Or is It totally different?

It is not the same, but not radically different. The dispersion of arrows over distance (similar to bullets) is not a straight cone, but more of a parabolic shape like the horn of a trumpet. So your 15yd target should be a bit smaller than half the size of the 30yd target to get an equivalent result. Unless you are really trying to count for score at the shorter range, scaling the target by half is close enough for working on your technique.

Mark

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 11:06:31 am »
What you can do too is shoot diagonally corner to corner and that might add some distance
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:33:29 am »
What you can do too is shoot diagonally corner to corner and that might add some distance
too Manny obstakels to shoot safe that way

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:06 am »
One of the best ways to start is to shoot three arrows from about 6 ft. Once you can get the three shafts touching you are ready to move back a step.
Shooting from too far , too early is a big mistake. Ego etc gets in the way :)
Get the basics right first, form over accuracy and progress slowly.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 12:18:02 pm »
I like to shoot at small, maybe 1”, squares of masking tape no matter the distance. I’d bet a good amount of $ that if you shoot groups at that for a while, and then shoot groups at a 10” circle, you’ll have a lot more arrows within 10” of the tape squares than you’ll have inside that 10” circle. You aren’t shooting at a 10” circle; you’re shooting at THE CENTER of the 10” circle.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 02:39:21 pm »
Both of the above comments makes sense, bownara, with the 6ft, you measure from from the back of the bow orwhere you stand? I think from the bow because the Arrow would barely make air if measured from your feet haha

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 03:18:25 pm »
Random spots are much better practice than shooting at the center of the target, one arrow at a time is better than shooting for a group.

I never shoot at the center of this target, just at the little spots at where a clocks numbers would be. If I am really concentrating on form I shoot one arrow, retrieve it and shoot again.