Author Topic: Bow staves with heart rot  (Read 962 times)

Offline Kidder

Bow staves with heart rot
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:28:10 pm »
So I’ve embarked on my first bow build (a year or so from now). I finally found a use for the ugly, prickly black locust growing all over the edge of my property. So this weekend I felled one, sealed the ends and split it into quarters. However, upon doing so I noticed that the very center ring has rot. There also appears to be a few spots that are almost like bug damage, except I don’t think it is because they all “dead end” and don’t go anywhere. A few of these run part way out towards the sapwood but not as far. Is this a problem? Should I just set them aside, season them, and come back to them in a year? Or should I try to remove some of it now? Thanks in advance.

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Bow staves with heart rot
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:16 pm »
looks like it might of had some kind of wood borer when the tree was young. it wouldn't hurt anything to remove some wood off the belly right now and it might even be a good idea, let you know the extent of the damage.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 03:48:27 am »
Take them down to one growth ring, seal the back with 2 coats of PVA. Locust loves to check(even if dead standing, its still probably relatively high moisture content, for a bow).

Rough the stave out into a bow. That should remove any of the black heart. If any remains, seal that too. For some reason those black sections seem to invite checks in the belly.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 06:46:32 am »
That's pretty common with locust around here. It doesn't seem to adversely affect the wood. Do like Hamish said and get past the discoloration and make a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:28:22 am »
Carpenter ants, the wood should be fine.