Author Topic: Failed Red Oak Recurved Paddle Bow  (Read 1998 times)

Offline RyanY

Failed Red Oak Recurved Paddle Bow
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:19:39 pm »
It is with a heavy heart that I share this failed bow. I set out with the goals of challenging myself and showing people what is possible. This bow is red oak paddle bow with recurves. It is 52" ntn and pulls 35#@28" with under 1" of set. It has a crowned back as well. Non heat treated other than to set the recurves. While shooting it in after final tillering and the first few coats of finish, I noticed some very very small frets which I tried to get a picture of. I see other small ones on other parts of the limb. It's possible this bow could survive without issues but it is now far from the triumph I was hoping to accomplish. I see a lot of new guys wanting to built short recurves or asiatic style bows. I made this with them in mind, hoping to show that with good design, execution, and wood, that the bows they want to make can be possible.

If I reattempt this bow in the future I would change a couple things. The recurves would be a less sharp angle, and I may try and heat treat it prior to any tillering as the starting thickness was quite thin. I would also bring the widest part of the limb closer to the handle. Otherwise I feel I was very close to success.

Would love to hear your thoughts and criticisms. Thank you.

Offline RyanY

Re: Failed Red Oak Recurved Paddle Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:20:26 pm »
More pics.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 05:20:57 pm »
Couple more.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 06:00:16 pm »
You came close.  A better quality wood and you'll get it.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:41:37 pm »
Why would you change the recurves?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 06:51:54 pm »
I’d like to try it again in red oak to see if it’ll hold.

DC, I put in the recurves so it wouldn’t stack at full draw. These ones are 45 degrees from the back and I think they could be closer to 30-35 and still accomplish that while also lowering the stress on the working limb.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 07:26:53 pm »
Valiant effort. A far cry from failure really. You made the belly fail before the back. Go back at it, do an acupuncture treatment around the chrysals, and heat treat it really good in those spots.

On your next one, make it 54 inches long and keep your hooks the same.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 09:05:41 pm »
Beautiful bend Ryan and valiant attempt.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Corvus

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 09:58:47 pm »
Was thinking about doing something similar with this red oak board I have laying around. Fear being exactly what you ran into, I don't expect it to hold up in compression. Maybe trap it and heat treat, but still feels like pushing it for red oak
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 04:20:23 am »
Sleek, the frets are very small at this point so I probably won’t mess with this one anymore. It’s too thin to heat treat IMO being under 3/8” for most of the thickness of the limbs.

Thanks Pat!

Corvus, the back was trapped. I think it failed in compression because I was squeezing every inch of draw weight out of the limbs and asking a bit too much bend of the inner limbs for how narrow they were.

Offline simk

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 07:03:55 am »
Ryan, again a very elegant and well tillered bow from your side! If poundage and tiller is not affected by them chrysals it's maybe not so bad and it's just the feeling that is disturbed a bit  ;D  52" and 28" draw somehow must be very close to the edge...next one will be the jackpot  ;D 
--- the queen rules ----

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 07:06:32 am »
Shorter recurves would give a bit more working limb.
did it chrysal on the inner limbs?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 12:34:14 pm »
Ryan, again a very elegant and well tillered bow from your side! If poundage and tiller is not affected by them chrysals it's maybe not so bad and it's just the feeling that is disturbed a bit  ;D  52" and 28" draw somehow must be very close to the edge...next one will be the jackpot  ;D 

Thanks smik!

Shorter recurves would give a bit more working limb.
did it chrysal on the inner limbs?

I agree. I think I made them bigger than necessary. It chrysaled the most in the upper inner limb. There are a few smaller ones elsewhere on the bow. Very difficult to see but no mistake about what they are.

Here's the FD curve.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 01:06:54 pm »
You came close.  A better quality wood and you'll get it.

+1
Use an osage and you have the heck of a bow. Your work is fine and the design too. Lovely bow!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 03:48:09 pm »
+1
Use an osage and you have the heck of a bow. Your work is fine and the design too. Lovely bow!

Thank you simson.

I should clarify that I purposefully chose red oak and the draw length to bow length ratio in an ongoing quest to educate that design trumps wood species. This was with the facebook board bow building group in mind as there are many beginners there. With the prices I see Osage staves for, I’m not sure I’ll be working with it much longer until I can cut my own.