Author Topic: Shop Layout  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Onehair

• 601-600-1046
Shop Layout
« on: May 23, 2020, 01:41:00 pm »
I am soon moving and building a new shop. My better half insist that I stop using the dumpster approach and get professional help. Who has pictures of a well thought out layout or work station/ bench that they are proud to show. Room is not the issue but better organization is what I am looking for. Please share your ideas.

Offline Hamish

Re: Shop Layout
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 04:06:33 pm »
Organization is not as much as in issue if you have lots of space, because you have more options to move and change layout as your work process  evolves.

The opposite if space is a premium. Organization is essential. You can have a lot of stuff in a small space and if you are organised(especially with the storage of materials) your space can still be efficient.

Work out what types of activities you want to do, what you need to do it. Eg If you have a jointer that you use for flattening long stock for bow bellies, think about how much space you need for infeed and out feed of long work. If that doesn't work, having machinery on castors can be used to reposition a machine  so you can use it for long lengths.
Also consider what you might be interested in the future and plan for the likelihood of purchasing another machine, how much of a footprint it takes up.

If you give us an idea of the type of work you want to do, I will have a better idea if I think I can provide you some relevant information.

With woodwork, dust is a problem both for health and as a mess. So work out what strategies you will use to keep your lungs and your shop clean.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 06:53:35 pm »
Here’s my bench, with a face vise for bows. https://imgur.com/gallery/P6bTNIn
You can see my setup here https://youtu.be/b2k58KXgMjU

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 05:20:46 am »
Dan, That is one awesome heavy duty bench. I really enjoyed your video, and what you did with an old piece of fir. Nice arrow handling skills too.

Offline Onehair

• 601-600-1046
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:56:29 am »
That's impressive. Thanks

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 10:20:01 am »
That looks like a very stout bow bench!  Onehair, has your wife been talking to my wife!  The shop at our new place is 30' x 60' with some benches built in!  Still have to figure out how to set up, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline gifford

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 11:12:20 am »
Really nice workmanship on that bench. I would think it takes some serious effort for that type of bench construction. Kudos for a fine looking and doubtless long lasting bench.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 01:49:50 pm »
Dude the dumpster approach is de rigueur  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Onehair

• 601-600-1046
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 09:06:30 am »
I'm building a 30 X 60 with 20 ft for my bow builds. The wife may be talking to yours, she's sure not talking to me anymore.
(I do enjoy the silence.)