Author Topic: GIF of Bow In Slow-mo  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Tommy D

GIF of Bow In Slow-mo
« on: May 20, 2020, 01:19:52 am »
Don’t ask how long it took to figure this out!! All started by trying to figure out if my tiller needs fine tuning - so please feel free to chime in!

I saw someone else had posted a GIF - so I thought I would give it a go!

I took a slow-mo video on my phone and then used the free App GIPHY to turn it into a GIF. There is a share tab - which says “Copy Link” and if you paste it here like a picture - voila!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:24:10 am by Tommy D »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: GIF of Bow In Slow-mo
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:15:39 am »
Pretty neat Tommy.Nice bow.Sometime I'd like Robin to do that for me.Looks like the timing of your limbs slamming home is pretty good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 04:47:20 am »
The harmonics are pretty fascinating ... here’s another one! Getting better at this. I think I am going to stop tweaking or I’ll loose too much weight. I’ve thinned the tips and not feeling the hand shock anymore. You can really see why a heavier arrow absorbs more energy from a bow...

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 05:44:49 am »
I think it'd also be helpful to see a "before" video, showing the limbs' motion from brace back to full draw. 

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 06:25:11 am »
Be great help for limb timing and effects of positive or negative tiller on performance and longevity.

Can see why selfbows just don't stay the same over time and thousands of shots.

Make one shooting three under!!!

Can see the arrow paradox very well in second GIF. Why its so important to get arrow pass just right and how a good heavy arrow will save your bow harmful vibration over time.

HH~
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:28:32 am by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:34:30 am »
Awesome video. Your arrow is creeping forward before your release. Good video for working on form as well as watching the bow react. and when the arrow leaves the string.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 08:41:35 am »
The harmonics are pretty fascinating ... here’s another one! Getting better at this. I think I am going to stop tweaking or I’ll loose too much weight. I’ve thinned the tips and not feeling the hand shock anymore. You can really see why a heavier arrow absorbs more energy from a bow...

It looks like you might be nocked high with your arrow on the string and the handle does move noticeably when string slams home.
Does the arrow porpoise any when flying? or stick in target nocked end up?
Shooting really light weight arrows over time in context to it's draw weight is not good for most any bow.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:06:59 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 03:17:42 pm »
So Bassman - just to clarify - my normal draw length that I shoot comfortably with is 27”! I am pulling to 29-30 there - hence the creep. It is a bow for a friend. He gave me a bunch of spearfishing gear so returning a favour. To BowEd - I have two arrows spined at 74# and 31 inches long and if I pull to the bows full(ish) draw the fly like absolute darts. The difference though in performance between a 27 and a 30 inch is incredible. I really hope my buddy draws as long as he says! The arrows are 600 grains. Bow has about 1.5 inches of “backset” unbraced. I do think you are right about the nock point. I haven’t put a nock on yet. So was guessing. But a few shots felt sweet and a few didn’t. Hard to tune someone else’s bow. I will leave Rich to tweak it I think.

I would have shown the bow from brace more but there is a limit to how long a video can be to turned into a GIF. I can do another though. It’s actually really easy now I know how! Thanks for all the comments.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:25:26 pm by Tommy D »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 05:09:24 pm »
Well done! Wish I had your photography ability’s. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 05:35:40 pm »
So Bassman - just to clarify - my normal draw length that I shoot comfortably with is 27”! I am pulling to 29-30 there - hence the creep. It is a bow for a friend. He gave me a bunch of spearfishing gear so returning a favour. To BowEd - I have two arrows spined at 74# and 31 inches long and if I pull to the bows full(ish) draw the fly like absolute darts. The difference though in performance between a 27 and a 30 inch is incredible. I really hope my buddy draws as long as he says! The arrows are 600 grains. Bow has about 1.5 inches of “backset” unbraced. I do think you are right about the nock point. I haven’t put a nock on yet. So was guessing. But a few shots felt sweet and a few didn’t. Hard to tune someone else’s bow. I will leave Rich to tweak it I think.

I would have shown the bow from brace more but there is a limit to how long a video can be to turned into a GIF. I can do another though. It’s actually really easy now I know how! Thanks for all the comments.
Sounds like your bow held up good.I'm sure there's a big jump in fps speed from 27" to 30".There is from 25" to 28" here too.A good 15 to 20 fps.
BowEd
Ed