Author Topic: Guest Bows?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline mmattockx

Guest Bows?
« on: May 19, 2020, 09:53:00 pm »
Does anybody here make/have guest bows for visitors to shoot while at their places? We have an acreage with room for shooting bows (and firearms), riding dirt bikes, etc. and regularly have friends come out to enjoy the outdoors with us. I have been thinking I might make a couple low draw weight bows for the use of visitors. Any tips for doing a bow for people who have no experience with archery?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Guest Bows?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:00:43 pm »
you're on the right track.
keep some light weight arrows on hand to go with them, newbies really get a kick out of arrows shooting out like darts!
make some so that they can take a decent overdraw in case you get somebody who decides that they can draw it past their ear, nothing will turn somebody off of something like breaking stuff the first time they try it out.

personly i keep several solid f!$*)g@!! bows as loaner gear, they're a lot harder to break then a wooden bow and honestly will perform decently at a range of different draw lengths on the same bow.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 11:54:03 pm »
My first bow is one of those things!  When I bought it in '57, the shop owner said you could close a car door on it and not hurt it, but you would need to get the car door fixed!  Still got the bow, don't know if the car door ever got fixed! (lol) (lol). Got the bow and a dozen spine/weight matched arrows for $15.00.  Anyone who draws past their ear could very well do a "Van Gogh"
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 08:55:26 am »
I have 3 fi%%%%%%%s bows, and arrows for that reason. Pretty much bullet proof.If I need more than that I have low weight self bows that will work.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 12:24:00 pm »
Low weight is a must for first timers. For an average man I would say about 30# is right.
Make the bow long and wide.
I would make a 68 - 70" pyramid. Dependant of wood species but I would go wider at the fades than 'normal'.
No shelf and a grip that is shaped slightly so that the bow is held correctly.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 02:28:04 pm »
Low weight is a must for first timers. For an average man I would say about 30# is right.
Make the bow long and wide.
I would make a 68 - 70" pyramid. Dependant of wood species but I would go wider at the fades than 'normal'.
No shelf and a grip that is shaped slightly so that the bow is held correctly.

Why no shelf?

Mark

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 02:43:43 pm »
Mine all  have shelves,and a string nock. Easier for beginners to shoot.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 07:24:36 am »
Beginners will find a way to cut their hand with feathers if they don't have an arrow rest. They will also be really inconsistent in their hand position because no telling how they will grip the bow.

A long bow with poundage in the 30s will be the best.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 05:27:02 pm »
I have a few bows for new shooters and guests. A few have rests on both sides of the handle.
Clatskanie, Oregon