Author Topic: Osage takedown questions  (Read 777 times)

Offline Ben.A.M

Osage takedown questions
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:41:15 pm »
Hi all! I recently made a takedown from a shard of Osage I’d been saving as it’s a rare commodity here in Australia, split it in half and after a long search for decent steel piping and over the top quotes remembered that I’d found a good quality fiskar extension pole on the side of the road, yes, I know what you’re thinking and yes it’s made of aluminium,  but given the stress it’s designed for and it’s oval shape decided that as long as I kept the weight low there was a good chance of it working and long story short it came out sweet! But now that I’ve shot it a heap (first 50 or so with a squint eye of fear) I’m considering upping the poundage, it now sits at 40lb at 29.5” and it’s 65” ntn braced, my questions are, of my options, which would be the most advisable? Should I A: pike it by snipping an inch or 2 from each end? B: attempt recurving the tips, even though it’s riddled with knots or C: shut up and count your blessings it’s survived this long? I’m pretty new to this and technology isn’t my friend but I’ll try and add some pictures :)
Cheers!

Offline Ben.A.M

Re: Osage takedown questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:15:45 pm »
Used washable paper to fill the gap between inserts then when it got a little compressed and loose from use added some triangular darts, it now makes a satisfying pop when disassembled.

Offline Ben.A.M

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:50:36 pm »
Braced

Offline Ben.A.M

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:53:22 pm »

Offline Ben.A.M

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 08:54:15 pm »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 09:06:34 pm »
Ben, she's a sweet looking bow. You could do both piking and a slight reflex at the tips but also temper the belly, all of which will add weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ben.A.M

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 10:44:17 pm »
Ah! Cheers Pat! I didn’t even consider tempering as I would normally consider it for white woods or bows that have taken on set, my next question then would be, if I temper it and previously in the build had to realign one of the limbs mid limb 3 inches sideways at the tip, which required quite a bit of steam time and force, would tempering it then cause the limb to retake it’s previous shape? And if so would I have to clamp it to maintain shape?