Author Topic: Laminate bow education  (Read 797 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Laminate bow education
« on: May 20, 2020, 01:11:36 pm »
I've got all of the books but does anyone have a recipe for lamination thicknesses for a prescribed finished weight?

I'm not laminate bow builder, I'll say that up front. I am getting all the tools set up now and looking at ordering veneers for laminating. I will be using a koa wood riser and node on bamboo backing. Hill style longbow in the 45 pound range. Just trying to calculate laminate thickness and number for something around that weight. If someone wants to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline willie

Re: Laminate bow education
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:46 am »
I could point you towards some resources, but you would have to know what wood, how long and wide, what drawlength  before anyone could venture a recipe.

Which books do you have already?

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:16:21 am »
Make your best guess and prepare a set of lams, write down all measurements. Make the bow. what weight is it? Make adjustments on the next one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:37:14 am by bownarra »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:04:17 am »
Welcome to the world of lament bows lots of variables & guess work ,draw length, bow length, width, front view, and taper rate ,riser length,reflex etc , with a 1/8 bamboo back , 3/8" core , .005 taper rate, HH front view taper should get you in the ball park for a 12" riser, 1 3/8" wide 68"@28  approx 50 ish lb better to be slightly heavy & work down via side tiller ! But really only one way to find out for your self !
You should have a good idea after the first keep notes !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:25:53 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !