Author Topic: First recurve help along (finnished)  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Re: First recurve help along
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 06:52:37 am »
What you mean by Stay on the bow at brace height? Like aligned?

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 12:20:27 pm »
 : At the moment in relaxing my recurves but as i did Read " Just reheat Them to relax" i tought they Will straighten by themself but needed quite some force

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 12:29:37 pm »
Usually they will straighten somewhat with just heat but sometimes a little persuasion is needed. Depends on how much heat you apply.

Offline HH~

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 06:00:30 pm »
When your limbs on a static are aligned you don't even need string groove on belly of bow. They are not a bad idea however because you can loose the weight you added with tip overlays by string grooving the belly a good bit. Make it a snappy static whitetail shooter.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 09:10:39 am »
Currently have the bow tillered to braceheight, the handle is still stiff and there is no taper to the tips. If i want the handle bending there Will almost be no fades right? And how narrow can i make the tips? The string is laying right in the middle pictures comming later today

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 05:04:20 am »
 Here is the braced pic, left limb need to bend more
 And also the handle

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:54 am »
That's looking pretty nice. Do you have an unbraced picture? I've never made a narrowed grip bendy handle so I can't advise you on that.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 09:43:17 am »
Rich,
On a narrowed handled bendy bow, you should not go too narrow. Ishi style bow, that is over 1.5". How narrow is the handle? I can feel the "bending" in my latest 55" redo with handle at 1.25". But, I can not see it bend .

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 10:56:19 am »
I did Heat treat It today and now i took the unbrace picture i see that one limb has more recurve.( I did add It bit more while Heat treating because some pulled out while tillering but didn't add the same amount ivsee now. The second picture is a picture of the handle with a triple a (AAA)battery next to it because im walking with my dog and dont have measure tool with me. The left limb looks like It got a hinge but that was its natural shape and It didn't want to come out.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 11:11:51 am »
It's looking good. Just remember that the left limb is starting out with a bit more bend than the right limb so it should always have a little more bend. It can be tricky to judge but just keep it in mind. I think you want to get it bending in the handle fade area now.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 11:17:30 am »
To make it easier on us critics if you always post the bow the same direction it helps a lot. Usually top limb is to the right. I arbitrarily chose a top when I start and mark it so I don't get mixed up. A pice of tape on the back works. After that top limb is always on the right. Later on if you decide to change top limbs you can do so.

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 11:50:09 am »
Ah thanks for the tip, from now on i wil post pictures of right limb as top. As for Heat threating.. wow its really "the time you put in is what you get back" the second limb i treated was for my feeling a bit shorter treated. I wanted to brace the bow again but It was looking like a yumi bow (its theblimb with less recurve also) so when back home back to the Heat gun.. damn i hoped to shoot some arrows while walking my dog

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 02:03:43 pm »
If you ain't bored spitless you ain't doing it right ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 02:44:53 pm »
I AM, hahaha. But might have done something cool. I Saw somewhere on here that someone used a mix of charcoal and oil as finish so did i after first Heat treating. For the second time i used the mixture while doing Heat treating and the belly became Nice dark Brown alsmost black. Hope It is because the charcoal burned in ( It probably is because i didn't Heat It spectaculaire) after i "polish' It with toilet paper It looks really good.

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 04:22:36 am »
Got to full draw today and It pulls 45lb@28 "
Its lenght is 55 inch nock to nock
I shot a few arrows when not even a full draw yet and its kinda fast
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:37:44 am by Ricardovanleeuwen »