Author Topic: First recurve help along (finnished)  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

First recurve help along (finnished)
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:34:35 pm »
Oke so this is the first bow where my recurves kind of succeeded. I did Both bends on the same caul but 1 curve ended up a bit different. Do that marters if they are still the same distance in front of the back? And for string alignement, is It important to just have the string in the middle of the handle or is a little bit of limb twist at the curve also bad, even when string still centered and recurves not bending?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:58:39 am by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First recurve help along
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:55:46 pm »
Tip alignment is critical with recurves and especially with hooks that drastic. You'll probably even have trouble bracing it. If the twist is natural you can tiller it so the twist is out at full draw where it is important.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 05:43:06 pm »
Undoing recurves is easy if you decide to relax one of them to match the other. just hold it over the steam pot for a minute or two but watch it carefully and take it out and clamp it in position. Or use a heat gun just a bit. A hair dryer might even work. You did get a little aggressive for your first. Like Pat said recurves are very fussy about alignment. After you fight with it for a while you can steam out most of the recurve to make it easier if you want.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:46:33 pm »
Well the recurves are same distance away from the back but the right is a little less drastic but have the curve start further to midlimb like the last part of the working limb is reflexed and the recurve is bend a bit less in degrees

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 06:49:37 pm »
...or you could just cut off an inch or from each tip. That would still give you a nice recurve but easier to handle. With those big hooks you could add set to the limbs just trying to brace it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:09:53 pm »
You should be ok . Profile your limbs and cut string nock grooves in as is. You shorten limb the cut in string nocks youll loose a bunch of bow length.

I would leave bow heavy in working part of limbs when you floor tiller. I have done wider 90 degree curves without almost any set. Sure you can as well.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:21:29 am »
The bow looks short overall anyway and the recurves are really over too long a length of the limb  - this shortens working limb length - increasing strain.
I'd relax them a bit as DC says.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 03:11:16 am »
 I was planning to deflex the handle

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 03:13:26 am »
But I Will try to relax the curves

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 06:44:51 am »
Bow
I agree it looks short. Taking some hook out is no big deal and it looks like the limbs been scraped a good bit as well.

How fae was this bow tiller out to when you recurved it?

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 06:56:44 am »
Once I cut my string grooves on my static recurves I always have to tweek the tips one way or the other to get the string to lay perfectly in the grooves. Once set properly they stay that way forever.

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 07:03:15 am »
Yep or get limbs to hold string without grooves. Then you know they are correct.

HH~

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 03:27:49 pm »
 Honestly It Just started bending because i had serval limb breakage in prevous attempts so i didn't want to wast that energy and time again be a chance of failure
I think i have An Idea to tiller tough. I post pictures of that thursdsy because i have little time atm and rather spend those hours in getting my hawthorn stick shooting and then thursdsy and fryday i going to work this one. As for relax the curves, cant i Just scrape Them down so a bigger part start bending so its partly a working recurve, if It pulls out oke and if It dont i got s working recurve

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 06:24:49 am »
So i start tillering this bow but It raised An other question.how far before the bend begins do the recurves have to get stiff

Offline HH~

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 06:42:19 am »
?

Those recurved tips are never going bend or actually work. Tiller limb as you would remembering that the tips will remain Static or Stiff.

You might oughtta relax those 90 degree tips some and get a string to stay on bow at brace height before you start scrapng on this bow to much.

HH~