Author Topic: Boo and Ipe hun style bow  (Read 1890 times)

Offline YoungBull

Boo and Ipe hun style bow
« on: June 14, 2020, 06:26:54 pm »
Hey guys, so i was thinking about trying a hun style bow with bamboo and ipe, i may be able to get some cattle horn in the region I live, have no condition to buy good horn my pockets are quite empty because of the pandemic. I have Ipe on hand  and some bamboo drying, so this build will be ready to be assembled only in a few months at least.

Specs i have in mind:

DW: 55 - 60# at 26 (I'm a short guy 5'5 and my draw is 26 at the jaw bone anchor but i feel confortable even with 23-24 at the corner of my mouth);
OL: 55" to 58" (i know the stress will increase but the shorter i can go the better)
Siyahs: 5 1/2 to 6" + 3" V-splice
Handle Section: 3 1/2" + 2 1/2 V-splice

My questions are:

Are these dimensions ok?
You guys think it's doable without sinew? (it's hard for me to get some)
Can ipe and boo hold up to the dw and the sharp bend? Since it will be 2 really short limbs about 20"
If i manage to get some horn, will the boo be able to hold?

Sorry for the bucket of questions, I did read a lot here on the forum and saw a few bows made with materials like these, didn't find anwers to all my questions though.  (--)

Thank you very much gents.

Offline PatM

Re: Boo and Ipe hun style bow
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 06:59:26 pm »
The materials are fine.  Remember a Hun style bow  tended to be a bit longer with longer siyahs.  It's really just a Mollie with the tips angled a bit more back.
   They were also asymmetrical which you may not want to emphasize.

Offline YoungBull

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 08:32:25 pm »
Thanks for the answer Pat, yes i know the siyahs should be a bit longer but i wrote those dimensions just to fit in the OL without sacrificing more limb lenght.

You think the boo can take the strain of a horn belly?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:27:10 pm »
 Horn wouldn't produce strain on bamboo but you don't need horn for what you have in mind.

Offline YoungBull

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:04:39 pm »
Ok got it, I was just thinking about the horn because of the short working limb lenght, thanks.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 11:57:37 pm »
Horn has low bend resistance. It won't 'stress' a back. The degree you try to bend the limbs is what matters.
Don't try to follow a horn bow exactly but with your short drawlength you are likely to be fine.

Offline YoungBull

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 08:15:37 pm »
Ok thanks Bownarra.

If i build the bow 55" with those dimensions all that's left would be like 20" of limb lenght, subtracting the non working splice section whats left is even less.
Will ipe and boo hold? If it hold too much set can be a problem?

Thanks guys.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 08:38:20 pm »
  If you modify the design for a wood bow yes, Wood only has about .5% elasticity while horn sinew has about 4%. 8 times more and that is why they are designed differently.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 09:47:30 pm »
Ok thanks Bownarra.

If i build the bow 55" with those dimensions all that's left would be like 20" of limb lenght, subtracting the non working splice section whats left is even less.
Will ipe and boo hold? If it hold too much set can be a problem?

Thanks guys.

It will be fine at your draw length.  Why are you splicing the handle?

Offline YoungBull

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:16 pm »
  If you modify the design for a wood bow yes, Wood only has about .5% elasticity while horn sinew has about 4%. 8 times more and that is why they are designed differently.

Got it Badger, what mods you suggest?

Offline YoungBull

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 07:10:30 pm »
Pat, my ipe is not very thick (1.57 width and just under an inch thick) and I want to saw it in half so I can get one more piece for lams, this is my last piece of ipe. I already have the handle piece shaped, I made it some other day just trying splice shaping really. Aand i'm quite obsessed with Grózer horn bow style  ;D.

But with a stiff handle shouldn't I leave at least some inches of non bending limb, like close to the fades? Wouldn't it end up the same or am I thinking wrong?

Thanks

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 08:00:23 pm »
 Very little proof  here! My experience with boo and horns this. More done with gemsbok horn. 3 to 1. Meaning 3/4 bamboo 1/4 horn. Is that close guys?  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!