Author Topic: Dogwood for bows  (Read 1419 times)

Offline gumboman

Dogwood for bows
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:46:06 am »
How does dogwood perform for self bow wood? I read in a thread here on the forum it compares to Pacific ninewood. I don't know much about the wood but like to learn more. Anyone here on the forum have experience with it?

gutpile

Re: Dogwood for bows
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 12:07:28 pm »
its a heavy interlocking grain wood.. it will take set more than most other woods.. i find it similar to persimmon... jmo.. I'd much rather work hickory or hophornbeam than dogwood...gut

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 12:27:55 pm »
It was compared to ninewood in the context of both being a shrub used for bows from their geograhpical areas.
Dogwood as a bow is a good bow wood.At least the ones I made from it.Takes a heat treatment well.A tough very elastic type wood if you can find a clean enough piece.
It'll perform well as a bow wood.Rings on it are'nt as defined as ring pourus woods,so I would say it's a non ringed or diffuse pourus wood.It'll be multi colored also with grays/light brown/and white colors in it.Rather pretty.
It'll actually smell kind of like a wet dog when working with it sanding or heat treating.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:42:37 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:43:36 pm »
It NEEDS a heat treatment. A high crown helps too. It does make good bows when treated properly.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 02:09:55 pm »
Which dogwood are you asking about. There are many species. We have 3 different species growing on our 25 acres. One will definitely make a bow, Cornus florida, flowering dogwood. Silky dogwood, C. amomum and pagoda dogwood, C. alternifolia might make a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 02:24:59 pm »
Pacific Dogwood (Cornus nuttallii) makes good bows.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 02:42:26 pm »
Dogwood makes fine bows. Get as big a piece as you can and heat treat it well. I made a sinew backed dogwood bow for squirrel hunting and ended up giving it to the neighbors kid because he liked it and it was his birthday. Still shooting to this day. Self bows are of course good too

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 04:20:43 pm »
Practically all the different dogwoods here come in fairly close to each other density wise.At least with arrow shafts and it would'nt be any different with bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline gumboman

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 11:49:19 am »
Thanks for all the replies. l don't know which species or variety the tree is. The tree is cut down so I might bring the logs in and decide later if I want to try using it. I have enough osage to last for a while so not pressed for new wood.