Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 1239 times)

Offline NewBowyer

Tree ID
« on: May 10, 2020, 08:29:39 am »
Does anyone know what tree this is? This is what all the buds look like before the red flower falls off. It's a straight trunk with smooth gray bark; they seem to grow together in small groves.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 10:24:01 am »
pawpaw. I think it is too light for bow building. It does make good fire spindles and fire boards I think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 05:32:33 pm »
Thanks; I’m glad I didn’t cut one down.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 06:06:45 pm »
Keep an eye on it. You might get fruit from it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 06:15:22 pm »
Pawpaws, taste like banana custard, the fruit is mostly large seeds but enough good fruit make eating one worthwhile.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 07:22:55 pm »
Supposedly they're called "the Indiana banana," at least that's what I heard years ago from an old-timer. When do they fruit?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 07:25:01 am »
I can't remember exactly, I think July/August. I walk an exercise trail through the woods near the Tn River, there are multiple pawpaw patches along the trail. They don't have a good crop of fruit but about once every 3 years but there are always enough to munch on if I can beat the critters to them.

I took some seed home and planted a patch of them down in my woods. I now have about a dozen saplings from 4 to 8 ft tall.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:05:05 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 07:31:24 am »
Too soft for bows;

Wood: Pale, greenish yellow, sapwood lighter; light, soft, coarse-grained and spongy with a specific gravity of 0.3969 and a density of 24.74 pounds per cubic foot (396.3 kg/m3).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 07:48:48 am »
I've had 2 pawpaw patches at my place for more than 10 years. They flower each year but I have never had fruit. I read that the pollinators for pawpaw were blow flies and the way to encourage fruiting is to place dead animals around or near the patches. My dogs would love that so I guess I won't have fruit in the future unless nature does it for me.

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 09:43:09 am »
I've had 2 pawpaw patches at my place for more than 10 years. They flower each year but I have never had fruit. I read that the pollinators for pawpaw were blow flies and the way to encourage fruiting is to place dead animals around or near the patches. My dogs would love that so I guess I won't have fruit in the future unless nature does it for me.

You can hand pollinate them by taking a paint brush and moving polin from one to another...  there bisexual so no need to find the different genders...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?