Author Topic: New place to store some wood.  (Read 1000 times)

Offline jamesh76

New place to store some wood.
« on: May 10, 2020, 03:21:19 pm »
We werent using our garage entry for anything. This space is 78" wide and will be inside the house in a climate controlled area.  Will this work good for storage? I plan on working them to final ri g and close dimensions then storing here until I work them. Then return them for storage until its full.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: New place to store some wood.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 04:04:18 pm »
Good idea and use of space.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 05:04:45 pm »
Not sure about 1 hickory sapling I have. Thinned to 3/4"  thickness and 2 1/2 wide but by the time I get to one tip, it's all sapwood???????

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 06:00:20 pm »
That will be a great space to store bow blanks.  Make sure to seal the backs after chasing a ring and storing them.  I use shellac.  Cheap and easy to remove later.  Or you can put a finish right over it.  I keep at least a dozen blanks in the house to keep them dry.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 08:49:01 pm »
That will be a great space to store bow blanks.  Make sure to seal the backs after chasing a ring and storing them.  I use shellac.  Cheap and easy to remove later.  Or you can put a finish right over it.  I keep at least a dozen blanks in the house to keep them dry.
absolutely. I still use glue to seal. I haven't had any dry enough yet to use but I think I can use a green scratch pad and a little water to make it damp and remove the glue. Added 2 more to it since this picture. A hickory and 1 short little osage which will have to be a kids bow. It had a pretty deep crack it took a long time to get below and isnt very thick or wide.  I seen it when I hauled it home, had no idea how long it was on the ground. Wasn't sure if I could salvage it or not.  Have another piece from the same piece I will look at tomorrow. It's a little bigger. Not sure about cracks on that one yet.  Also took 2 more hickory and a hackberry from.the shed.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 07:17:21 am »
I really like your storage idea, much better than my hodge podge bow blank storage shelf. I often have to unload the whole shelf to find my next victim, I may never get around to some of these blanks.