Author Topic: 1 over 3 under should one limb be longer/stiffer?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Fox

1 over 3 under should one limb be longer/stiffer?
« on: May 05, 2020, 07:26:35 pm »
How do you guys set up your handles  and arrow pass? I shoot 1 over 2 under... so should one limb be stiffer or one limb longer?  Or just completely symmetrical?
Thanks

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline PatM

Re: 1 over 3 under should one limb be longer/stiffer?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 07:32:29 pm »
You'll get all sorts of opinions on that.    Whatever you do figuring out how to have your limbs stay how you initially made them is the hardest part for many.

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 07:43:47 pm »
Okay i usually have it all symetrical so should i just stick with that?... and my arrow pass is often around 1.5" to 1.75" above center... is that too high?

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 10:56:04 pm »
I always make my arrow pass 1" above center. I shoot Mediterranean style too
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:40:51 pm »
What ever works for you is the best way to go!  Even among instructors there are a variety of opinions!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 02:46:27 am »
  My thoughts are that I don't tiller for how I hold the string, I usually let go of the string when I shoot an arrow so the tiller on the bow is responding only to the arrow and no longer my fingers. I tiller to where the arrow pulls straight back with my hook right below the arrow nock.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 06:24:44 am »
I coordinate the locations of handle center, bow center(static balance point), and string hand fulcrum with one another. Asymmetrical bows with a slightly longer top limb generally have the bow center better aligned with the string hand fulcrum. This allows the bow to balance dynamically sooner in the draw, and better, and more easily, throughout the entire draw... i.e. it's easier to contend with during construction and draws better when its done... since there's virtually no shifting fulcrum to contend with under the bow hand, like there is in symmetrical bows where the string is drawn farther from center.

But they can be made either way, and with either of those designs, it's irresponsible to say too simply,  'x-limb should be stronger'. ...without knowing or asking, how is that strength judged? By how it looks at brace? Tiller measurements at brace are false profits. They can't reliably deliver the goods... the goods being... each and every bow, an equally, predictably, well-balanced, drawn bow. Two bows of the same design, dynamically balanced to the same archer to the same degree, may end up with quite different tiller measurements due to natural external or internal irregularities.

So limbs should be balanced in strength relative to the archer's holds as the bow is drawn, so that the arrow comes straight back... not with its nock end pulled toward a relatively stronger acting limb. Then how it looks, or measures at brace, is a result... an afterthought. At that point, it's practically irrelevant so I no longer take those measurements.

Balanced is, only, as balanced does.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 06:51:10 am »
The arrow passes I do are 1" to  1.25" . I like to keep the bottom limb a shade stiff for split finger. They will shoot even tiller as well. The big thing is it has to feel balanced at full draw. All staves are not the same and the bow when done at FD will tell you whether its balanced.

Have some that I shoot 3 under that were 1/4" stiffer on bottom that are even now and shoot better now than when they were fresh made. Which is not the norm.

Yes I think 1.5 or 1.75" is a little high for a SB.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 07:56:53 am »
By leaving the top limb a bit longer, or the bottom limb a bit stiffer the purpose is the same - to compensate for the ever so slight difference in string angle/length created by having only one finger above the notch-point and 2 or 3 below.  This problem can be addressed by adjusting the handle/arrow pass as it sits on your tillering tree while tillering.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 09:50:15 am »
Thanks for all the great answeres  to my questions! All very helpfull. My arrow pass is usually at .5" to .75"  didn't mean to add the one.

Offline HH~

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 12:45:58 pm »
That would be low for how I shoot. Some folks like them right off the knuckles.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 09:07:10 am »
i think alot would vary from person the person,, if the bow is shooting well then you are good, I have a thought that the longer the bow the less crital it would be, but I am just guessing,,