Author Topic: Gonna start keeping bees  (Read 1476 times)

Offline sleek

Gonna start keeping bees
« on: May 07, 2020, 01:07:53 pm »
I'm not interested in the honey,  though I may one day dab into it. I want bees to increase my grape and garden harvest. In my mind, I just set them up in a corner and forget they exist. I already spoke to my neighbors and nobody is allergic or has a problem with them. I live out in the country so I don't need to concern myself with too many people being bothered.

So, now that I have done the neighborly thing, and have need of the little ladies, is there anything I need to know or do for them? I live on the north eastern end of North Carolina if that makes a difference. We do have bear out here, and I need to keep an eye out for them.

I need to know the best way to get them, set them up, and everything else.  Anyone know a good resource for all that? I'm not wanting to spend lots on them, cheaply as possible would be best.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:11:25 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Gonna start keeping bees
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:58:50 pm »
Sleek, ya can't just set it and forget it with bees, They get to strong swarm and leave, get to weak just die, Like any livestock they need care. Good Luck  Bob

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 04:30:42 pm »
Thanks. I didn't know the would swarm and leave. I thought swarming was good and that's the hive so strong the split in two.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:24:03 pm »
Sleek, your right about 1/2 of your investment staying and half leaving, My brother has 14 hives and with our cold spring he has been feeding  his bees sugar water until they can start gathering pollen and nectar , I know he buys sugar by the 50# bags, also he treats for mites each fall so they are strong going into winter, With so many new bee diseases it is hard to winter over bees. He was thrilled that this spring he only lost 4 hives over the winter, being in Carolinas your mileage may vary but bees are in trouble thru out the USA if not the world. Lots of spray drift from crops is hard on bees also. Not trying to deter you but do some homework before you invest. On the other hand my brother's honey is so good on a big stack of cakes. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 05:32:23 pm »
Good deal sleek.Bees are enjoyable.Nowadays it's quite the hobby for many.But Bob's right.Besides what Bob said they are plagued by mites too.They'll swarm in early spring.
Bees will adapt to the temperature.When cold they'll cluster in box.When hot they'll beard outside the hive box or while being treated for mites.In spring it can be a sign their ready to swarm too.You learn how to split hives too before they swarm.We only keep 4 hives.I help a fella who has around 60.

We use swarm traps I make to get free hives.Their vulnerable early spring many times for starving before things are in early bloom.Hard suger candy will need to be fed to them then.In fall they need mite treatment.
I'd get a book about them if you are serious.We've had bees here for quite a while and there's still things we learn.It's all about the queen.If your lucky 1 hive may last 3 to 4 years if it does'nt swarm or die.
Beekeeping for dummies or First Lessons in Beekeeping will get you started.I'm not even going to attempt to try to say all the things a person needs to know to have and keep bee hives around.
Swarm traps.....http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,67620.msg949680.html#msg949680
The honey/wax/and excess hives caught can add up to a fair amount of money.We sell right from our yard.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:12:48 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:22 pm »
Now this is interesting.  I see I have much to learn, but I am not discouraged, intrigued more like.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 01:49:00 am »
Good luck with that endeavor!  You also have a new bee predator called the killer wasp to worry about!  Bees are as much work ad any other crop, and more essential than any of them!  Put me on your list for honey, if you get any extra!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 01:51:35 am »
if you are interested there is a free ebook on project gutemberg
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24583

it' s pretty old but Langstroth could be seen as the father of modern beekeeping
it's a good reading

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 08:32:45 am »
Do Orchard Mason bees survive in your area Sleek? They are low/no maintenance, don't sting and are, apparently very good pollinators. These are hung on the back of my house. You can see the holes are full and they are just about done for the year. They hatch out around the end of March and usually are around til June. The rest of the time you don't see them. Just a 4x4 with 6" deep 5/16" holes. The screen keeps the Flickers from drilling into them. Some people get carried away and get way more complex than this but I've had good luck just providing them with a home and letting them take care of themselves. The one in the background is the first one I made about ten years ago.

Found this https://conservingcarolina.org/habitat-at-home-a-bee-utiful-backyard/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:20:30 am by DC »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 11:50:35 am »
Definitely start with a used copy of Beekeeping For Dummies. Best money you will spend in the long run because it really is all the basic information in one easy to read book.

Second, contact a local beekeeping club. They are springing up everywhere, heck, I started one.  Some hobbyists are looking for places to set a hive. You may be able to get a hive in your garden, all the pollination you need, a share in the honey, and STILL not have to do any of the work!  WIN!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 12:21:53 pm »
You might check out Horizontal Hive dot com - they have lots of good info on natural beekeeping.  I had a couple of hives for a while, but found that even with natural beekeeping, there are some maintenance things that need done, and I did not enjoy doing them.  One swarm died, and one just packed up and left.  It was really just one too many things for me at that point.  In general though, natural beekeeping can be effective and is not as fussy as the usual modern system of requeening, medicating, feeding over the winter, etc.  I did successfully overwinter the hives; you just can't take all of the honey! 

Offline Strelets

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 08:29:06 am »
The beeswax will make a great polish for your bows.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 08:45:51 am »
Back when I was a kid my dad kept bees, he bought our bee suit coveralls from a place called Elza Gate salvage, the "gate" being the former guarded entrance to the atomic bomb facility in Oak Ridge Tn. He didn't pay more than 50 cents for coveralls, this was in the late 50s.

I was a Boy Scout at the time, I wanted to earn beekeeping merit badge which required me to rob a hive on my own. I donned my complete bee suit, coveralls, hood, gloves, I used my smoker to calm the bees  and took the top off the hive.  I soon found out why the coveralls were only 50 cents, the pair I had chosen had a small hole in the crotch. In a matter of seconds 13 bees found that hole and charged into it with a vengeance. Once inside they all found an inviting target and stung in unison, all 13 of them.

I imaging this must have been an amusing sight, quite similar a bowlegged cowboy riding an angry bull along with all the bucking and gyrations except I did it without the bull.

Needless to say I abandoned my plans for the merit badge that day, I ran by the hive, tossed the top back on and took off for the house leaving a trail of beekeeping garb and finally the bargain basement coveralls in my wake.

A week or so later after the swelling went down I robbed the hive and completed the project, in a different pair of coveralls of course.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 09:22:12 am »
Many times depending on the type of day it is when I will check on bee hives with no protective gear at all.On sunny days workers are gone.Less bees around.On cloudy days more bees at home in the hive.We use carnolian type bees or hybrids of them.Russian bees are very aggressive.They "do not" like someone tapping or thumping against the box.
I usually keep my smoker handy but sometimes don't even use it.
The protective equipment I use is minimal.A screened head unit/long leather gloves/and regular clothes tucked in well.Some basic tools needed also which don't cost all that much.Many ways to cut costs.Make your own hive boxes and nukes too.
Robin at times did not tuck her shirt in.She paid for it a couple of times too.With her long hair the bees stayed with her screaming all the way back to the house.
I once was mowing around my hives when my mower got stuck on an ant mound right by the hive.That was not fun.Got stung at least 4 or 5 times around my eye.
Timbos' correct you should leave the main hive frames alone and full for them for the winter.Otherwise they'll starve.Only take honey from the supers.
JW's suggestion of supplying a place for a bee keeper is smart.Just need to be sure there is plenty of blooming fauna around to supply the hive.Along the way you'll have a mentor to teach you about bees.
Mason bees are a good idea too by DC,but no honey then either.
Bees will travel they say up to 4 miles while foraging for pollen.
All in all it's a very interesting hobby.Much to learn.A lot more than I can state.I'd get a book and you still will need to learn along the way yet.Every year can be different.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed