Author Topic: More/better eyes on this  (Read 1763 times)

Offline DC

More/better eyes on this
« on: April 30, 2020, 12:50:10 pm »
This is one of the toughest tiller job I've had. A little history first. This was a wiggly Ocean Spray with a strong bend. It was only 40" long so I sawed it down the middle to get the best string alignment. This left me with two billets, one with strong reflex from the middle out and one with strong deflex from the middle out. Because they came from the same "log" all the ups and downs are mirror images of each other. I steamed the outer half of the deflexed one and reflexed it to match the other. Locked it in with dry heat. Hope you're following me so far because now it get's a little confusing ;). Spliced them together. So now what I've got is a wiggly stave where(because of the mirror image)any wiggle on one position on one limb has the opposite wiggle on the same position of the other limb. Now I have to make them bend evenly. How do you think I'm doing? I'm at 40#@26". One or two inches to go depending on how brave I get so I thought I would let you guys look at it and see what you think. Thanks

PS I added a picture. This is flipped and superimposed on itself. It looks a lot better that I was expecting. Especially the outer limbs. I was sure the top(right) limb was bending more.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:10:27 pm by DC »

Offline Bubbabowyer

Re: More/better eyes on this
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 02:06:15 pm »
I'm no expert and highly doubt my eyes are better but, to me it looks as if  inner mid limb on the right side could bend just a shade more. But I'd say that thing is pretty sweet as is

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:37:26 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "bend evenly". If you mean both limbs should look the same when flexed, then good luck with that. When I work on bows with that kind of character I concentrate on making the belly follow the back and getting an even thickness taper. When I do that, the tiller generally just works out.
Gordon

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 09:55:14 pm »
If the last photo is super imposed, I don’t think you can get much closer. Just what my eyes see.

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 10:45:05 pm »
Silly question but how does it shoot right now??  Smooth draw? Point well??? Smooth in the hand as the string slams home?  It's one unconventional way to judge limb harmonics without super slow mo video. You have no significant set deficits so sometimes I let the shootability tell me when to stop.  Just my two cents. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 01:21:00 am »
Looks good to me... I'd leave it... or maybe send it me :)  O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Granje Chaser

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 03:27:23 am »
I would just touch the first hump right of the handle. I say this to check my eye, not to criticize this more than beautiful bow. Fantastic

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 04:22:42 am »
I do all my bows as Gordon described, whether crooked, kinked or straight. Follow the back, apply a good thickness taper (taper tillering), letting the taper produce the bend. Generally you'll have to evenly reduce one limb or the other to bring the bow into balance, then reduce to desired weight. And as Gordon stated, the tiller just works out...…….Art

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 07:10:48 am »
Looks good to me!  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 07:35:48 am »
that looks about as good as you can get it... great job on that challenging piece... gut

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 08:11:28 am »
Looks good. Just remember that even though there is chump it should dolts share of the bending. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 09:35:42 am »
Looks pretty sweet to me DC.Nice job.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline rps3

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 10:04:45 am »
Good looking bow DC. I notice the right limb with less reflex is bending to the same point as the left limb. Would that be your stiffer lower limb? Just curious as to your thoughts on that.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 10:15:43 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by "bend evenly". If you mean both limbs should look the same when flexed, then good luck with that. When I work on bows with that kind of character I concentrate on making the belly follow the back and getting an even thickness taper. When I do that, the tiller generally just works out.
Maybe "bend evenly" is a bad choice of words. Maybe bending properly. I have a tendency to make them bend the same even though( in this case) the unbraced looks like it may have a little deflex in the right limb. I have trouble getting thickness taper right, the lumps and bumps throw off my finger calibration. Thanks for commenting.
If the last photo is super imposed, I don’t think you can get much closer. Just what my eyes see.
Yes it is superimposed. I'm just not sure that it should look that good considering what I think I'm seeing in the unbraced picture.

Silly question but how does it shoot right now??  Smooth draw? Point well??? Smooth in the hand as the string slams home?  It's one unconventional way to judge limb harmonics without super slow mo video. You have no significant set deficits so sometimes I let the shootability tell me when to stop.  Just my two cents. 
Haven't shot it yet. Have to make a string.

Good looking bow DC. I notice the right limb with less reflex is bending to the same point as the left limb. Would that be your stiffer lower limb? Just curious as to your thoughts on that.
That wasn't the plan but maybe that's just the way it should be. It sounds like a good excuse if nothing else ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 11:21:15 am »
  I think I would trust your own eyes on this one. Looks like you are doing an excellent job on a tough stave.