Author Topic: Mice  (Read 2532 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Mice
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 01:07:57 pm »
The only difference between a rat and squirrel is the tail. ;D ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 06:03:38 am »
Usually wherever I have had rats, I don’t have mice. It just seems like they chase all the mice out. They can be very difficult to get rid of. Fortunately I have never had them in my house.

I’m a bit curious that all you find is damaged plants. I really can’t remember that problem. Usually it’s turds in the bread drawer or a hole in some type of food package. They usually leave sign. Like said , they can’t control urine and poo. They leave a trail wherever they go and others follow it.

I like to wrap peanut butter on trigger with toilet paper. Might be to valuable for that right now. I also like the chunky peanut butter and usually press a chunk right into the hole on trigger. If you wrap with toilet paper and alternating layers of peanut butter. They will try to eat both and set off the trap. When you still have peanut butter on the trigger and a dead mouse in the trap, maybe you got em all.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 07:00:09 am »
Practice your primitive skills at home, set ya some figure 4 deadfalls.   

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 09:44:59 am »
We have had no damage and no sign of critters since I got the rat in the crawl space. The crawl space is more a short basement. It's sealed up as tight as the rest of the house. Well it is now. We have a bay window and a jut out in our dining room. The lazy contractor(me) never got around to putting soffit material under either spot. There was just insulation. After 40 years it was getting kind of tattered so I finally put soffit material on them. I'm thinking that a rat was nesting in the insulation and I trapped it in the house when I put the soffits on. I haven't quite figured out how it got from the crawl space to the house but there are possibilities. Anyway I'll leave the trapline out for a few weeks. just to be sure. I caught the rat with an old Victor rat trap baited with Tootsie Roll and a couple of raisins I took out of my granola.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 11:53:06 am »
Here is how I dealt with a mouse in my bow shop.  The trophy picture is gone from the post.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49527.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 12:44:11 pm »
Clint that reminds me of my first hunt with my dad. Actually my dad wasn’t much into hunting. He was always to busy working to hunt.
Us kids did have a pellet gun and even though we were really young, we could hit what we were aiming at with it. One night dad said we were going hunting. We put on our barn clothes and each carried a flashlight. We went to the barn and didn’t turn on any lights. Just shined our flashlight. We went to the the where we stored the oats to feed our calves. Just shining the flashlight and stopping it’s beam on  mice. They would freeze in the light. Then we would shoot them with the pellet gun. I still  can see it. Well over fifty years ago. It was a little creepy, but it was a great hunt with my old man. We then shined the light in the rafters and shot sparrows. Later in life my dad started to do a little hunting as he had more time, since us grown kids did more of the work. I went deer hunting with him a few times. I don’t recall any of those hunts as much as I do the mouse hunt. Just proves to me. It’s more about the hunt than the trophy.
Bjrogg
PS we didn’t use the same method for deer. Just in case your wondering.lol
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 01:15:22 pm »
Usually wherever I have had rats, I don’t have mice. It just seems like they chase all the mice out. They can be very difficult to get rid of. Fortunately I have never had them in my house.

That's because the Rats eat the Mice.  I came across a Rat's nest once in my Grandmother's barn.  Inside were Mouse bones and some of their skins turned inside out.  It was a very strange thing
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 03:07:25 pm »
Here is how I dealt with a mouse in my bow shop.  The trophy picture is gone from the post.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49527.0.html

Good read OO :D