Author Topic: Shrinking leather  (Read 1470 times)

Offline DC

Shrinking leather
« on: April 27, 2020, 11:59:01 am »
I just put a wrap on a bow handle. It's OK but the ends are a bit slack, Is there a way to shrink it. I tried a bit of heat and it seemed to be working but I didn't want to get too aggressive. Maybe water and heat? Suggestions?

PS I'm going to try a little dry on the cut edge. That white line is kind of distracting.

bownarra

Re: Shrinking leather
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 12:22:23 pm »
To avoid this use veg tan leather and wet it before fitting to the grip. Once wet it will be 'stretchy' and you can wrap it around the handle and form the leather to the grip shape. Let it dry then mark out and make your stitching holes.
You can also fold over a 1/4 top and bottom and glue this down before fitting and stitching to avoid the white edge and having to mess about with dye after fitting.
Mark your last few holes a little wide to give you room to cinch up the ends of the grip too. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 12:25:52 pm »
Boiling water shrinks leather.  Pour it directly from the kettle on the wrap edges.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 12:56:12 pm »
Fold the ends inward on eachother about 1/4 inch. Looks wayyyy better, and tightens them up. Lebhuntfish taught me that one.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 01:47:47 pm »
To avoid this use veg tan leather and wet it before fitting to the grip. Once wet it will be 'stretchy' and you can wrap it around the handle and form the leather to the grip shape. Let it dry then mark out and make your stitching holes.
You can also fold over a 1/4 top and bottom and glue this down before fitting and stitching to avoid the white edge and having to mess about with dye after fitting.
Mark your last few holes a little wide to give you room to cinch up the ends of the grip too.

I got this leather from a guy that came around to repair my couch. I have no idea what kind of leather it is but he gave me enough for the rest of my days so I have to use what I've got. Do you skive the edge before you roll it over?

Boiling water shrinks leather.  Pour it directly from the kettle on the wrap edges.
I'll try that. I wonder how "tung oil" takes boiling water?

Fold the ends inward on eachother about 1/4 inch. Looks wayyyy better, and tightens them up. Lebhuntfish taught me that one.

Yeah, next time.

Actually this is a big handle so maybe I should take this off and make a new one. The old piece will be big enough for a smaller handle. Yeah, I've got nothing to do except mow the lawn so maybe a new handle :D :D I didn't like the stitching on this one anyhow ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 03:14:14 pm »
Is this better?? Now I guess I'll mow the lawn.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 03:21:57 pm »
I LIKE IT! Did that work better for you?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 04:12:08 pm »
 DC you might already be doing this, but if not this trick will help with gaps at the ends. Instead of trying to join two straight edges of leather, you cut back a curve along the length of each edge about 1/16-1/8", leaving the original edge the apex in the middle of the leather. When you lace up the grip the ends will stretch the most, and close up leaving no loose gap on the underside.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 04:20:32 pm »
I LIKE IT! Did that work better for you?

I would like the edges(the folded part) a little tighter. I'll skive it a bit more next time but yeah it was better.

DC you might already be doing this, but if not this trick will help with gaps at the ends. Instead of trying to join two straight edges of leather, you cut back a curve along the length of each edge about 1/16-1/8", leaving the original edge the apex in the middle of the leather. When you lace up the grip the ends will stretch the most, and close up leaving no loose gap on the underside.

Yes I do that. I have to put at least 1/4" curve. I guess my handles are bulbous :D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 12:17:26 am »
Looks pretty good to me!  You're learning, me, too!   Btw, wanna come mow my yard? >:D >:D (lol) (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 09:24:07 am »
Looks pretty good to me!  You're learning, me, too!   Btw, wanna come mow my yard? >:D >:D (lol) (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Thanks :D  It started to rain so I had to go back into the shop ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 09:31:16 am »
One trick I've seen leather workers use that I've incorporated is to use of a mixture of alcohol (isopropyl and not Canadian rye) and water in a spray bottle to help make the leather comply. It works really well.  Now back to your lawn!