Author Topic: My first real good shooter... Finally  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Fox

My first real good shooter... Finally
« on: April 27, 2020, 06:30:48 pm »
Just want wanted to show ya good people the first bow i really enjoy shooting... only took 15 or so to get one that feels right!

a few strange things about this bow that the first is that one limb took about half an inch more set from the begining of tillering and that limb is mutch thicker than the upper limb but was bending way more so i just tillered it how i figured it should look and just went with that.. any idea on why this was? the next odd thing is that a splinter popped up on the belly after shooting it for a while, so i put some super glue under it and called it good, seems fine but is a bit odd, onther thing is it seems like there may be a few chrysles on that lower limb that took more set and is thicker... the chrysels and splinter are in the bottome photo... anyway heres the specs

64" TTT 1.5" mid limb 7" fades and handle, 60# @ 26" 1.75" set after a long shooting session, 1.5" after resting. any critiques welcome and wanted.

-Fox
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:44:13 pm by Fox »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

Re: My first real good shooter... Finally
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 06:33:35 pm »
90558 by spyjake9, on Flickr

90552 by spyjake9, on Flickr

90556 by spyjake9, on Flickr

90545 (1) by spyjake9, on Flickr

90540 (1) by spyjake9, on Flickr

90528 (1) by spyjake9, on Flickr

90527 by spyjake9, on Flickr

90524 by spyjake9, on Flickr

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 08:04:24 pm »
With the problems that you have run into it looks to be a fine bow. I say shoot the spit out of it and build another one.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:07:00 pm »
So do you guys think those chrysels are deadly?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:22:53 pm »
Don't know much about splinters except a fatal one in an heirloom bow got me going here!  Maybe sand out the Chrysals, seal them and if the bow doesn't break after 1k shots, it may last! :BB (SH) (SH) :NN (--) >:D (lol) (lol)!  Nice bow, what wood?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 11:32:13 pm »
Okay thanks for the advice i try sanding them out.. and its hickory, i did a few heat treats aswell

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 11:40:25 pm »
What should i seal them with? I have a few coats of shellac and oil/wax On it now.
Thanks again.

-Fox

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 02:10:04 am »
What wood is this?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 06:27:20 am »
Your tiller is poor on the bottom limb and not very good on top. I'm going to guess the compression fractures are near mid limb on the bottom. Sanding them makes it worse. They occur because that is the weakest point of the limb. So removing material will only worsen it. Get your tiller fixed and perhaps they are gone, but I doubt it. They go much deeper than you think they would. Start another bow and use a straight edge, or Erics Gizmo, to tiller it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 06:59:49 am »
Bow looks good Fox. Just retiller and take some weight off top limb. Maybe turn it into 50lbs@26 and shoot the snot out of it. Stay off those compression cracks in bottom limb. Looks like a shooter.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Fox

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 10:34:33 am »
Alright ill retiller a bit... but im not 100 percent sure the tiller is that off.. it looks like its bending more there im the photo. I used a gizmo most of the tillering prosses and worked out the limbs every time i removed wood.. but will go check again.
Thanks guys

-Fox

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 10:48:28 am »
Im not totally sure from the pictures but I don't really see anything that looks like a chrysal. The first picture after the full draw to me just looks like the grain lifting, which can be avoided if you wet the bow between sanding passes. Hickory especially seems to like doing that, and I think its not really related to the tiller. Seems to happen a lot with the porous early wood fibers.

The diagonal crack really looks like a chrysal, and it being that diagonal really suggests it is...but to me it has the jagged look of a tension break that happens when you heat treat and bend over a caul, not the crinkly look of a compression failure. Could be wrong, just offering another possibility.

And i do see the splinters too, but none of this would really worry me in terms of safety. Could the tiller be better...sure, but i bet you'd have to pull this bow really really far before it broke.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:56:14 am by Santanasaur »

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 10:51:22 am »
I've found that pictures can lie. Sometimes it's as simple as nocking the arrow too high/low because you're in a hurry using the camera timer. Some cameras distort the top and bottom of the pictures a bit. Try flipping the bow over and taking another picture. Take care to nock it properly. Don't cant the bow for pictures.

PS I just took a little measure on your full draw picture and it looks like you've got the arrow nocked about 2-3" high.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:55:46 am by DC »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 11:03:55 am »
The bottom limb is bending in one small area only, hence the set it took. You can see it at draw and unbraced. It needs to bend up into the fades a lot more. The top needs to bend a bit more towards the fade as well. Belly splinter/fractures/chrysalis don't just happen for no explainable reason. Splinters popping on a back, however, can sometimes be a mystery.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 11:42:11 am »
Welp ive been tillering.... and its getting worse... used thr gizmo on the bottom limb then took same amount off the whole upper limb... but the tip limb refuses to bend as much as bottom... dropped downto 50# and has taken another quirter inch of set... well darn..