Author Topic: Effort at brace correlation to draw weight?  (Read 1090 times)

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Effort at brace correlation to draw weight?
« on: April 29, 2020, 12:32:26 pm »
I realise brace height and bow length vary but how does the effort needed to brace a bow correlate to draw weight?

Offline DC

Re: Effort at brace correlation to draw weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 01:55:58 pm »
I would say it doesn't. Some bows have more early draw weight so that may make them harder to brace. Some recurves are just a b***h to brace. That could make it feel heavier. RD bows are very easy to brace compared to their draw weight.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 02:03:00 pm »
  Are you looking for a way to know what your current weight is before you brace it? Thats an easy one.

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 03:03:48 pm »
It is a question I have often wondered about but, yes, I think I am mostly interested in predicting draw weight. Normally I only worry about balanced limbs and good tiller with as little set as I can get. Then I string it and start worrying about weight. Up til now, a bow with excess draw weight has been a bonus but as my skiils improve I suddenly find my bows really heavy at brace and it would be good to predict a ball park draw weight without running to my pc and running a mass calculation

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 04:50:07 pm »
I would say it doesn't. Some bows have more early draw weight so that may make them harder to brace.

+1.

It is a question I have often wondered about but, yes, I think I am mostly interested in predicting draw weight.

Badger is going to tell you to pull to your draw length (or at least reasonably close) on a slack string and that will let you know how heavy it is looking to be.

Mark

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 05:40:13 pm »
    If you put on a string that doesn't hang very loose maybe 4" or so. You can just pull it and read it the same as if it were braced, there won't be much difference. So if you hit your target weight at say 24" using a loose string that would mean you are still about 12# heavy if your draw is 28".  Braced or unbraced they don't read all that much different, plenty close enough to know when to brace it.

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:57:22 am »
Thanks all, that's really useful

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 08:29:47 am »
Resting profiles can make a difference.Length of bow also.A straight tipped bow pulled with taught long string with tips at brace height of 6" at 35 pounds will generally still be a 50 pound bow yet at 28" if I remember right.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 08:45:51 am »
  BowEd, I find the resting profile or length of bow does not make much difference. It doesn't even make a lot of difference if the string is taught or hanging down loose about 6". I completely ignore where the tips are and just read it on my tiller tree just like I would a braced bow. I find it will always be close enough to know where when to brace it. I always brace when I hit target weight at about 23" or 24". The string angle is actually what produces most of the weight as opposed to tip movement.