Author Topic: Best bow design for super heavy EFOC arrows.  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Tommy D

Best bow design for super heavy EFOC arrows.
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:37:18 pm »
Let’s say I wanted to build the “best” bow design to shoot 1000 grain Extreme FOC arrows that meet all of Ashby’s penetration criteria at a maximum of 20 yards ... with a max draw weight of 70lbs at 26 inches what design would you pick?

Offline sleek

Re: Best bow design for super heavy EFOC arrows.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 01:40:14 pm »
A bow with high early draw weight, probably 62 inches long, slight reflex inner limb that puts the tips 2 inches back, maybe 2 inches wide for the first 7 inches after the fade then tapers to a pyramid.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »
I I like sleeks design,,,I have hunted with heavy arrows,,,shot through a buffalo with 70# @25 inch d bow,,,so simple will work too,,,have shot over 1000 grain from 60# bow with effective results too,,.not saying that is the best,,,but it will work...but any 70# bow that shoots hard should work

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 02:57:35 pm »
Brad did u find a point of diminishing returns with arrow weight or not? I have a good buddy who hunts with a compound and he is driving me bonkers at the moment - he considers 500 grains a heavy arrow!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 03:21:20 pm »
I’d go with a Chet Stevenson type of static recurve.
He used yew and Osage the width varies from 1 1/4”— 1 1/2”  68”-70” ntn short static recurves that look like they’ve been bent around a coffee mug. Curves need to have just enough mass to be light but still hold they’re shape w/o flexing.
His bows were #75+ and often up to #100
I’ve made a few and I really enjoy the heavier weight and comfortable shootability in the bow.
I used the surewood tapered fir shafts. Absolutely love the arrow flight. It’s been awhile since I’ve weighed my arrows but they’re somewhere in the 800 grain range. Anyways good luck on your endeavor.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 04:57:03 pm »
I have a good buddy who hunts with a compound and he is driving me bonkers at the moment - he considers 500 grains a heavy arrow!

It probably is,  for a seventy yard shot

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 07:23:09 pm »
He used yew and Osage the width varies from 1 1/4”— 1 1/2”  68”-70” ntn short static recurves that look like they’ve been bent around a coffee mug. Curves need to have just enough mass to be light but still hold they’re shape w/o flexing.
I’ve made a few and I really enjoy the heavier weight and comfortable shootability in the bow.
I used the surewood tapered fir shafts. Absolutely love the arrow flight. It’s been awhile since I’ve weighed my arrows but they’re somewhere in the 800 grain range. Anyways good luck on your endeavor.

I like this design best too but I'm pretty sure Stevenson typically made them much shorter.

Offline willie

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 10:06:38 pm »
  That one seemed even narrower and shorter than typical but yes, along those lines.   

I used that bow as a model for the 2016 trade.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 11:58:16 pm »

I like this design best too but I'm pretty sure Stevenson typically made them much shorter.

I’ve gotten to hold and examine quite a few of them. The hooks make em look shorter. But most are around the same length. There are some shorter ones but they weren’t in this particular design.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 12:31:19 am »

Looks like a nice design. Is it just me that gets the images obscured with writing on some older posts?

What aspects of this design make it the one you would pick for heavy arrows?

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 12:42:25 am »
Tommy, click on the picture and you can see it at the photo host and download it too.
there is a pic with a wall full of them further down in the thread to see sizes

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 01:54:09 am »
Thanks! How simple is that!