Author Topic: Missouri River fishing  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Missouri River fishing
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:37:08 pm »
Since I live so close to an easy access to the main river channel. I figured I may give it a shot. My buddy and I walked a bit of the bank yesterday and came across some good looking spots. But I’ve never fished a river this large. We don’t have a boat so plan to play from the bank.

Any tips on fishing the river from the bank?

Out plan it to set up down stream of some piled up logs where an eddy forms and see what happens. I still need to get some big water equipment and tackle as the largest I have is a medium bait caster with 12# line.

Just because I have so many and need to go through my extras. I plan to try some domestic rats for bait. 30 breeder females producing can quickly over fill a little freezer when 80% of my snakes go off feed for the breeding season. So might as well fish with the old ones to make room for fresh in the freezer. Any ideas of how these may work?

Thanks for any advice

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Missouri River fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:55:55 pm »
I've used dead birds,frogs,crawdads,and large chubs before.No reason a rat won't work.Let them get ripe a bit though.You never know what you'll get out of the big Mo.Just be sure you've got big enough equipment.
Maybe bow shooting in some back waters might work too.Sounds like a fun day to me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:02:01 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 01:02:34 pm »
There’s a great backwater channel on the upstream side of the boat ramp that looks like it’ll be great bow fishing when t he carp start spawning and the far move shallow.

I definitely need to get some big equipment for that big stuff that could bite.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »
You within 10 miles of the Missuri river?
BowEd
Ed

Offline gifford

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 01:30:04 pm »
Kyle, it's been awhile since I fished the Big MO but I've had some luck off the wingwalls and rock dikes. There usually is a calm area. Tossing a bait out into the main channel and swoosh it's half way to St. Charles. But here's what the MDC says about it:

The best sites for flathead catfish are off the tips of wing dikes or along cut or riprapped banks next to fast-moving water. Commercially prepared baits, live sunfish, chicken livers, shrimp, worms, and cut shad are the most popular and successful catfish baits. The best baits for large blue and flathead catfish are live goldfish or sunfish.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 02:22:33 pm »
Definitely some good info to know, thanks,

I’m loving in Holts Summit now. So right about that 10 mile away from the river.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 02:47:15 pm »
Yes bluegills have worked good for me too along with bullheads which stay alive longer for flat heads.On the off side of big brush piles along banks with faster water going by like you described.In deep holes.Especially when it's hot out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:39:46 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Piddler

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 05:18:09 pm »
14 foot rod with Ambassador 7000 reel with 30 lb Ande Backcountry line is good tackle. I usually pull the brakes out of the reel but if you're not used to using one don't. I throw a lot of jigs below a hydro electric plant. As far as bait can't beat fresh shad heads. Cut the body off. Lots of guys use shad filets just as well. Also, If it's rocky take plenty of hooks and weights. Where I fish if it bothers you to get hung up and lose hooks and weights then just don't even go. Another thing thats important is a very good strong knot.
Goot Luck
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 12:11:48 am »
Didn't know you were that close to the Big Mo!  Good luck with the fish!  I don't keep rats or snakes, even for the earth dogs to train on!  I'll stick to bows, arrows, gardening, and fishing smaller waters!
Hope to see you at MoJam, if?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 07:48:22 am »
Hawkdancer - yup, I moved down to the Jeff City area shortly after the first of the year. I’m starting to like it. I can’t do quite what I used to when I was out in the country, but I’ve been able to do lots of bow building and up until the shutdown of all the gyms I was getting in lots of jiujitsu and judo training.

Piddler - I just put in an order for some big cat tackle. I’m not sure how I’ll like fishing t he big river so I didn’t want to invest a big amount of money if the rods and reel yet. I put in a little more in the rod for a 9’6” whisker seeker and went with a KastKing baitrunner Sharky 3  for the reel. Got some 80# power pro, the reel should hold about 200 yards of it, and 60# Mono for the leader. I didn’t have any large tackle so: went with 8/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks, 230# barrel swivels, and 5oz sinkers. I figure I’ve got plenty of time to upgrade if I enjoy fishing the river. For now, how’s the setup sound?

Bowed - I definitely want to give bullheads a try. I just gotta figure out a good place around here  to get them. Well any bait. Time to start red t scouting out little ponds, streams, and spillways to find bait.

Kyle

Offline Piddler

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 05:37:37 pm »
Mo_Coon_Catcher sounds like a good start. As with most things you have to see what you like and more importantly what works for you. Where I fish is pretty swift so may be a little bit different. One issue you may have is the #80 lb line or even the #60 leader you have. Have you ever tried to break 80 lb line especially the braided. Darn near impossible and if it's like where I fish you'll get hung up a lot. I think you will like the river fishing I know I do.
Good luck and keep us posted.
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 11:13:21 pm »
Waiting for the pics!  A friend of ours has been catching some nice walleye way up stream on the North Platte in Nebraska.  We been too busy to even buy our licenses!  I do know there are some big cats in the MO!  On the other hand, I'd settle for any catch, been a bit of a dry spell lately! )F( (lol) (lol) :fp
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry