Author Topic: Tips and glue?  (Read 813 times)

Offline jamesh76

Tips and glue?
« on: April 23, 2020, 07:33:39 am »
Found a nice piece of 1x3 oak today. Gonna get another board bow going. I have some deer antler I want to.put on the tips. My first bow I went in 1" to start my 45 for the string groves. How long and how thick would you recommend for these overlays? What type of glue? Can I use TB2? Also what method do you all use to rough up the surfaces? I used 60 grit sand paper last time. And finally with antler being porous is there anything I need to do prior to glue on?  Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tips and glue?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:13:11 am »
When setting up the tips I go 1" on the belly and 3/4" on the back for the string groove and like you said, it's about a 45 deg angle. First, you don't need the tip overlays until almost finish time. I usually keep my tips 3/4" to 1/2" wide and put in temporary side nocks. These will disappear with final tip shaping.
 With antler tip overlays make the pithy side perfectly flat then saturate the pith with super glue and let it cure then flatten again. You want the bow tip and the overlay glue surfaces to match perfectly. I wouldn't use TBII because it is not water proof although it will work other than that. I use TBIII, which is water proof, gel super glue and 2ton epoxy, both are water proof, to glue down the overlays. With TB glues there is no need to rough the surface but a perfect fit is critical. I also use a rubber band to wrap the glued tip until the glue is cured.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:17:16 am »
Make the overlay thick enough that you don't cut through it while making the string groove. 1/4" should be lots for that unless you want/need to cut a very deep groove. I'll second what Pat B said about fit, spend the time to get it right. I can't say on the glue, I've only done wood overlays and have used wood glue and gel CA with no issues so far.

Mark

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:34:37 pm »
Thank you

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:24:05 pm »
Use a thick superglue for antler. I wouldn't use any of the tb glues for wood to antler. Wood to wood fine.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 09:16:14 am »
I use superglue for antler tips.  I sand both surfaces smooth and matched, so that no light gets through when I hold it together.  Then I score both sides with a pocketknife, cover both surfaces with superglue, and simply hold it tightly in place with my hands for a couple of minutes.  Works for me.  Here’s one I just did.