Author Topic: Lookin for a 20ga  (Read 2095 times)

Offline sleek

Lookin for a 20ga
« on: April 22, 2020, 10:56:03 am »
Any recommendations for a good 20 gage? I'm interested in a smooth one semi and a pump, youth model or not, it doesn't matter.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Lookin for a 20ga
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 11:56:18 am »
any reason you want a 20 gauge over 12 gauge? and also what do you want to use the 20 gauge for?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 11:59:03 am »
Both of our pumps are Browning BPS, the 20 ga. is cut down for Jacie.  It is really a matter of preference, most of the top brands are good.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 12:25:20 pm »
Remington Wingmaster 20 gauge pump is a very nice gun. I own a 12 and 20

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 12:41:35 pm »
any reason you want a 20 gauge over 12 gauge? and also what do you want to use the 20 gauge for?

My wife doesn't like a 12 gauge. Also, ammo is plentiful, but its a lesser used round that 12, so I should be able to get rounds in event of a hording/factory shutdown.

Its usage would be rifled slugs for hunting, then shot for varmint, as well as inhome defense.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:07:41 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 01:00:34 pm »
Friend of mine has the Benneli Nova youth. Loves it
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 01:34:08 pm »
I don't think there is a better gun for the money than a Remington 870 Express. They will last a few  lifetimes with zero maintenance. My buddy is a 40+ year master gunsmith and Remington's are very rarely in need of repair. He spends most of his time fixing Mossberg junk. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 01:54:06 pm »
Jeb  x 2

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 02:00:45 pm »
Slightly off topic. I have a .410 Wingmaster with a vent rib barrel. Stunning piece of firearm. You don't see many around.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 02:00:54 pm »
I agree with Pearly.   I've had a Remington 870 in 12g since I was a kid.  I've put thousands of rounds through it with zero problems.  Get the 2 barrel combo.  One for slugs and a longer one for shot.  Changing the barrel requires no tools and takes about 20 seconds. 

I used to shoot a lot of clay targets.   I would go through 300-350 rounds in a day when I was at my peak.  I taught myself how to shoot left handed because my right shoulder could only handle so much in a day.   I outshot a lot of fancy high dollar guns with my 870.  Never had any problems with it. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 04:37:57 pm »
I had a beat up 870 duck gun, I believe that thing had a 36" barrel, back then we though the longer barrel a gun had the harder it shot. I could make it sound like a full auto and hit what I shot at, I was younger and quicker back then. I was pass shooting ducks at an opening to a bean field one time, three gadwalls came over with a 30 mph wind to their tail, they went by me at about 60 mph, I got all three, one coming on, one overhead and one just slightly past me.

One day a friend who shot trap at an uppity up club in Huntsville Al invited me to drive over and shoot. These guys all had specialized trap guns costing in the thousands even back in the 70s. When I stepped out of my car with my old duck gun, I could see them make faces and show their displeasure. There was some debate as to whether I should be allowed on their range or not.

Now I am an old country boy, I had a couple of bird dogs at home, would wear the ducks out every year and had no trouble limiting out on doves. I was an instinctive snap shooter.

I had never shot trap before, me and Billy Bob had thrown a few clay pigeons with a hand trap a time or two but that was kinda' boring.

Well, these so called experts would step up to the line, point their gun at the trap house, yell pull and try to swing on the clay and break it. They weren't bad for city folk but I could tell that a quail in a honeysuckle thicket would be long gone before they finished their form routine.

I stepped up to the line with my gun by my side, pointed at the ground in a safe position like I had always been told. I yelled pull, the clay took off, I crouched like a cat, shouldered my gun, pulled the trigger at the same time and the clay turned to dust. It kinda' surprised those snooty city folk that I could break one. After I dumped the next 23 just like the first they quit talking to me, I missed #25, must have had a bug in my eye.

My friend started making up excuses why we had to leave, no one said a word as I left and I was never invited back, I never did care much for snooty city folk anyway.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:15:11 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 08:32:09 pm »
I was invited to a private skeet shoot many years ago.  I paid my entry fee and proceeded to "clear the field".  I think I upset the regulars.  There was a trophy for first prize, which after some deliberation the refused to give me.  That didn't bother me too much but I was a bit upset that they didn't give me my entry fee back.  Then to top it all off one of them had the gall to come up to me after and ask if I would join their group, I refused
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 09:42:43 pm »
Don't know your budget but the Benelli Ethos upland is one of the nicest I have ever used on upland game. 12 or 20g  the wife shoots a redline over/under on grouse and we had a friend up with a new ethos. It's a sweet shooting machine. I think new they're around 2k but from my view shooting one on super tough game, worth every penny. She's thinking about trading in the redline...
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 11:42:50 pm »
I mentioned the Browning pumps, but have always favored side x side double gas, got a very old Riverside Arms ( very similar to Savage 310) likely 100 years old 20 ga. Still in good shape, And a Fox Model B 12 ga.  I have busted doubles on quail going left and right with the 20, haven't hunted the 12 much, but it could be the backup in the snow goose hunts when the restrictions are off.  Maybe it will score come pheasant season!  As far self/home defense, if they are close enough for pistol, knives, or hand grenades, they're too damned close!  I'll take either shotgun, or a 20 Rd mag from the .223!  However, there are no warning shots due to ammunition shortage! >:D (lol) :-M
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:12 am »
Im awesome at trap. pheasant, dove, duck, turkey, whatever just don't seem to fly straight across from me or away!!!  (lol)

I dont remember what the gun was called but it was a break action, single shot, 20 gauge. it was really fun to shoot!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.