Author Topic: Ocean spray bows  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Corvus

Ocean spray bows
« on: April 18, 2020, 02:36:06 am »
So we get massive ocean spray and they are all over. Often removing them for clients as they are basically a weed and easily grown to 10ft+ here. Always thought of it as more an arrow wood, but keep hearing about ocean spray for staves. Just kinda curious to hear stories from those of you who have worked the stuff. So far I have gathered that the hardest part is drying them and surviving checking.
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Ocean spray bows
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 05:37:16 am »
I've made two straight bows from OS. Its very strong and dense, but heavy as heck. Not fast bows at all, but tough and reliable.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 09:15:58 am »
It makes good bows. The drying can be a problem. It will tear itself apart if you leave it round. If you cut it to the pith it doesn't check too much. That means that you need a piece at least 2" dia at the handle to prevent handle pop off. It shrinks a lot so even if you split it right down the middle, when it dries it will less than a semi circle. See pic. Freshly cut on the left, dry on the right.( excuse the drawing ;D it's early) Like PD said it's heavy, don't throw it in the water, it sinks. Even bone dry and salt water, it sinks. SG is about 1.2.
You can make a bow with smaller dia if you rough it out to bow shape when green but be prepared for the handle to spit as it dries. It will. Just fill the split with primitive bondo. Scrape the bark off when fresh. I use a dullish draw knife. Shellac the ends and back and give it a year. Try to keep it in a humid spot for the first couple of months. I think mid winter is the best time cut because it can slow cure for a few months. Cut more than you need because some will self destruct. It's a nice wood to work. It doesn't seem to help bark removal to cut it in the spring. I've cut lots and I've had one piece where the bark actually peeled off, the rest had to be scraped

Offline Corvus

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 10:26:48 am »
Well there is a ton of it here and it grows big here, so guess I will start hoarding some since I am constantly removing big bushes of the stuff. Been taking it to the farm to make into mulch, guess I won't be doing that anymore haha. It doesn't have much appeal to me, but worth keeping some to play with later and possibly some trading stock. Mainly trying to find the yew trees right now though. We have them here, but cannot seem to find any so far.
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 10:33:09 am »
What kind of diameter are you talking. Where I collect OS is it in the second growth Fir/ Balsam and it can get 20' tall but it rarely gets over 2" dia. If they are over 2" they are usually short sections that branch strongly.

Offline Corvus

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 10:53:14 am »
Constantly find them up to 4" diameter and 10-15 ft tall. Almost always pretty dang straight too. It literally grows like a weed on my little island here. Last week I took like 10 bushes to the farm and about 70% or better had diameters of 2"+. They grow in these straight vertical bundles here, sitting on a treasure trove of OS staves basically since people seem to not like it very much here and are constantly having it removed. Pretty sure I still have some to remove from a property, might be able to snap some pics later
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 10:58:54 am »
I think I’ve made somewhere between 40-50 OS bows. The only issue is the wood is so hard and dense it’ll SOMETIMES collapse on a weak pin knot. Finding thicc 😏 and y’all pieces is all good but the best shooters have the cleanest bellies.
A good heat treat can raise the draw weight 8-12lbs which is kinda cool. I’ve found it’s density to by just more that Osoberry-0.89SG, and Oceanspray-1.09SG
 Don is right, drying is a b&$ch I cover the whole stave with shellac and forget about it for 2-4 years

this one is 1 1/8" at the handle and is 60"long #55@27" dont take much to make a solid bow
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:16:29 am by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Corvus

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 11:15:25 am »
@Bryce

Good to know, I was kinda wondering how it would take to heat treating. Looks like I will start collecting it and in a couple years will likely have more OS staves than I will ever want 😆
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:15:52 pm »
I'm beginning to think that the longer it dries, the better it is. So go out and get a lifetime supply now. Ten years from now you'll thank me ;D I have popped the occasional splinter on the back. Always an "H" shape with the cross going through a pin. If you can arrange the bow so that there are no pins down the middle of the back they are almost bulletproof. If you really push it, it will chrysal
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41218.0.html
Also take a look a "Zions" posts. He doesn't post anymore but he made quite a few OS bows

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 12:26:59 pm »
  I have only done 3 bows from OS but I loved it as a bow wood, mine were slightly over 1" wide at 50#. I would have preferred a little wider and a smaller crown but they still made great shooters.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 01:24:05 pm »
It's incredibly stiff wood. Makes good tool handles, mallets and fish bonkers.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 02:08:31 pm »
I’ve made around 10-15 ocean spray bows, and echo what everyone here is saying. Like Bryce said, pins and knots are a weakness no matter where they are on OS bows, so it’s really tough finding good pieces.
I like to cut it in the winter, remove belly wood to the pith and seal up the handle/fade area and dip the ends.  I love using it for kids bows.

Offline Corvus

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 03:56:44 pm »
Idk how to make attachments smaller in size on my phone lol. Even in this thicket of smaller ocean spray I could see a good 3 staves or so( probably more, but accounting for failures during seasoning)
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 04:33:42 pm »
Don't forget splicing. There are so many OS pieces that are just a touch short for a bow but make great billets. The large diameter ones quite often fall in this category.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »
Don't forget splicing. There are so many OS pieces that are just a touch short for a bow but make great billets. The large diameter ones quite often fall in this category.

Could not agree more.
Clatskanie, Oregon