Author Topic: Not a shave horse  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Not a shave horse
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:03:38 pm »
I thought about making a shave horse but I like using a bench vise. I then thought I would make a shave horse style bench with a vise mounted instead but I prefer to stand when I work on anything. I'm considering making a portable stand standing height for my vise now and just wanted to get people's thoughts on the matter. The reason I want the vise is it can do everything a shave horse can and more
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Not a shave horse
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 08:32:29 pm »
I use something very similar to what your talking about. I love how portable it is. And if you mood to put a lot of force into a drawknife, you can place your gut into the long side and pull hard. It’s about waist high and holds the bow at about belly button level. I like it and it give a small bench to work off of too.

Kyle

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:01:12 pm »
a blacksmiths leg vise mounted to a large wheel works exceptionally well. It's heavy and doesn't move but it can still be rolled anywhere you need it. Including out of the way.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 12:05:23 am »
Comfort, practiality, and effective is what counts, and most important, does it work for you!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 04:39:12 am »
Cool....Somehow someway if the desire is there we find a way to get things done.I've got a cock eyed way of mounting a stave or bow onto my vice/workbench & a stool on one end so I can straddle the stave while I work on it or have it at waist high level for a bow standing off to the side but it works comfortable for me.
The thing is then to have the proper angle of light to see properly what your doing on some articulate places.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 07:05:30 am »
I have only been working with my bench vice or a large tree for several years. Never thought I could fit a shave horse in my shop. Its fine, no problems. However one of the owners at my work brought in a shave horse( 2 weeks ago) to the shop at work and insisted I try it. Ok...he's paying me and wants me to try it out, I can only say ok.:) I found it functional for working on staves. Might have to make room in my shop and make my own and figure out how to fit it.

I understand the draw backs and the points you made...If you never tried (and maybe you have)a shave horse I'd suggest trying one out before discounting it. They are pretty slick.
Mike             

Offline lleroy

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 07:13:42 am »
I have a workmate clone (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000077CQ0).
I sit astride it and use it like a shaving horse...

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 08:55:35 am »
I like that clone but kyle your bench is simple and perfect for what I had in mind, I'm gonna have to steal that design or something close to it! Def need to be able to carry it from garage to basement and back again. That's for the idea sharing guys, I was sure I wasn't the only one that didn't need a horse

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 09:07:02 am »
Kyle...nice bench... :) 
Just a thought, but if you prefer working standing, and you want something portable and versatile, look up "Jawhorse"... a bunch of us carry them to shoots where we will be working on bows.  They fold and are extremely sturdy.  check around and they can be found pretty reasonably priced... seems like I got mine at Home Depot shipped to the house for free.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 09:52:34 am »
The jaw horse is a pretty handy and portable way to go.
On my cabinet makers bench in the shop I mount a pattern makers vise, (also called a gun stock vise) which works well for me.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 10:06:33 am »
Bob that jaw horse is pretty sweet too but I think Kyle's option is the best for me, especially with the lumber I have laying around.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 10:09:37 am »
if we ever get to have another MoJam you can try out the Jawhorse... and maybe Kyle's bench as well... and many other variations of bench... :)  Have fun...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 12:48:51 pm »
If there is a mojam this year I'll be bringing my bench lol I'm so excited to try all different methods and styles people have

Offline gifford

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 01:18:48 pm »
At one of the early MoJAMs, I made a couple of Bow Benches. Heavy bench with a 3 inch or 4 inch vise attached to it. They are still in use 15 or so years later. About as simple as can be. I made them out of the front porch steps I replaced. 2 X 12 s IIRC.

I use the big vise on my work bench in my 'shop' at home. Works well for me and holds securely.

I made a smaller version of the bow bench to take with me, the difference being I have placed some 2 X scraps of wood I had to raise the vise to a more comfortable working height. It's mostly for finer work on a bow blank, not hogging off wood from a quarter split to make a bow blank. Still it works well for what I intended it for. I'll likely have it the next MoJAM, whenever it maybe. YMMV

I've used Bob's Jawhorse, works well as well as his big shave horse. What I liked about his shave horse is that you didn't have to hold the stave or bow blank with leg pressure, it has a screw type assembly to hold the stave. Nice problem solving on Bob's part.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 01:39:41 pm »
I have a bunch of 2x8's I got from job sites at work. I'll be putting something together this weekend for sure