Author Topic: Hedge/Osage stave storage **** updated with haul load  (Read 5126 times)

Offline jamesh76

Re: Hedge/Osage final picture
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 04:32:32 pm »
Should be one on the first page.  Really rough bark. I may have misspoken  or got auto corrected on phone. I believe its hackberry.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:41:36 pm by jamesh76 »

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Hedge/Osage stave storage **** updated with haul load
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 04:41:22 pm »
ok yeah i think you got auto corrected  :D i would agree with it being hackberry.
iv'e only harvested on hackberry and it was small diameter like yours, i stripped the bark sealed the ends and split it in half and it worked out well.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2020, 04:54:58 pm »
Very nice.  This has a few knots and pinholes. I think I will try to get this piece to dry quicker. I marked the middle and fades, started narrowing the belly.  Down to about 1 1/2" at both tips.i sealed ends and back again with glue. Currently sitting across the vise. I'm worn out today. Only got 2 or 3 more with bark taken off and down to a ring. One piece of osage had a ring with a big dip. Took a long time and I started getting frustrated with it.  I sealed it back up and sat aside for now.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 07:17:07 pm »
If you can cut splices, cut the twisty one in the middle and splice it together straight.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 07:32:49 pm »
If you can cut splices, cut the twisty one in the middle and splice it together straight.
I would imagine a band saw is needed for that. I dont have one yet. A splice my be beyond my current ability. However once its dry it may be a different story.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2020, 09:34:21 pm »
skill level is one thing but you can cut splices with a hand saw too :D don't limit yourself.

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2020, 10:00:48 pm »
skill level is one thing but you can cut splices with a hand saw too :D don't limit yourself.

I tried it twice. Failed so bad I'm actually scared to try again. Id love to learn how to do it by hand, but my confidence is shattered.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2020, 10:06:14 pm »
It doesn't have to be all that great, you can heat a poorly cut splice, clamp it together hot without glue and the parts conform to each other. If you still have gaps you can cut thin shims and fill the gaps as you glue every thing up. I have done bit of all of the above in the past. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:19:19 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2020, 10:10:03 pm »
my best advice is to watch some video's on cutting dovetails and ripping with a hand saw, than go and practice those operations a little bit.
its not the same as cutting a splice on the uneven surface of a bow stave but it gets you some practice and confidence with a handsaw and the techniques used with it.

too i would recommend starting the cut with a backsaw if you have one even if it cant go the full depth of cut, once it bottoms out switch to a handsaw.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 06:18:01 am »
 (lol)that’s a great haul, congratulations!
1’—>1’

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2020, 09:08:49 am »
I will look into it.  Does any of the TBB books have a section on this? I have the whole set incoming.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2020, 01:22:43 pm »
Getting there.  More to go. I need to pull that older osage from the bottom and take sapwood off. I just removed bark and sealed it back a month ago.  Osage, mulberry, hickory and 2 honey locust. Some of the white wood with large knots may be interesting.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 01:49:14 pm »
Does that area get real hot during the summer?  If so, that can cause some checking issues.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 02:10:45 pm »
External shed. It will get hot. But I keep the window and door open for the dogs and it's got pretty good ventilation. I will keep an eye on them and see.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 02:21:44 pm »
Looking good James.Your not bow wood poor any more!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed