Author Topic: Red Spot on Osage  (Read 993 times)

Offline PaSteve

Red Spot on Osage
« on: April 13, 2020, 11:15:14 am »
I'm working this osage stave. Got it down to one ring and started removing belly wood when this spot appears on the belly. It's 2 1/2" long and 1/2" wide. It feels just as solid as the heartwood around it. It isn't visible on the back and as you can see from the pic I still have a ways to go on the belly.. Maybe it will disappear as I work the belly down. Just curious as to what may have caused this. The stave does have reddish streaks on the back. It's from SE Ohio if that makes a difference. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Red Spot on Osage
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:38:18 am »
I've had those but they were smaller. I would not to worry.
Steve, look to the left. You are  not down to 1 ring.
Use a scraper-like too. Looks like this rings are tiny.
Jawge.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:07:28 pm »
George, thanks for the reply.  That picture is the belly. The back is face down.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:12:07 pm »
Usually means bugs got that far and petered out. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 12:20:58 pm »
Those dark marks appear sometimes when the tree got hit by his neighbour tree or something else ...
Is the dark line a pencil line or a delamination ring?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 12:39:17 pm »
I'm working the belly down and the spot is gone. Simon, the line is my pencil mark. The spot was about 5 rings thick (about 7/16") total. It's gone now, so back to work.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 06:38:00 pm »
Interesting,..thanks for sharing

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 07:22:50 pm »
Rings look good to me. Thats either a scar or a wood booger. You’ll know when you peel a ring or two off the back.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW