Author Topic: My new yew bow 125#@32"  (Read 16058 times)

Offline Badger

Re: My new yew bow 125#@32"
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:08 pm »
Very nice work you are doing, I imagine you are learning a lot as you go. Keep it up!!  Steve

nick1346

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 05:29:37 pm »
Nick, what distances are you all shooting at over there while Roving?

SJM

Well it depends on who set it up. If it's a general rove with lots of light weight bows the average will be a about 170yds with most between 80 and 200 but sometimes some very short ones. If its a warbow rove the average will be about 210yds with most between 120 and upto about an eye popping 300yds. It's good fun and yes you loose a lot of arrows!

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 05:43:45 pm »
 :D Thats great!!

Most shoots here in the USA are geared more towards hunting distances. Folks complain at shots past 30 yards. I am gonna try and change that though by becoming more active with my war bows. Thanks for the info. I may need to pic your brain a bit more on some good shot ideas if I can get some guys together to start shooting with me.

SJM

nick1346

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 01:33:06 pm »
Pick away!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 03:04:58 pm »
YewArcher, Your bows look real good, and having youth on your side is a big help when pulling the heavier weights. I like that full draw shot!

Rich

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 03:23:15 pm »
Thanks Rich, I am sort of an old-feller though. I wiill be 35 this year. I lift weights 5 days a week and run 18 miles a week and have been shootin very heavy bows since i was a kid.I have been hunting with 80# bows for as long as I can remeber.  I was just a natural transition into the war bow world. Problem is as you can see I struggle "getting into the bow" because I dont really need to to get the bow back to 30"......I could probably pull 150# back to 30" but have a real hard time with that last 2" when I get anywehere over 110#. To get that last 2" I will need more of a war bow form and that is hard for somone who has been shooting another way for 22 years. I study Mark Stretton, Steve Stratton, Glennan and Nick Ashley but them dudes make it look easy! Its that last 2" that I get stuck at.

I will keep practicing and get it soon I am sure. When I do unlimited class at the salt flats here I come >:D

Steve

stevesjem

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 07:20:38 am »
Thanks Rich, I am sort of an old-feller though. I wiill be 35 this year. I lift weights 5 days a week and run 18 miles a week and have been shootin very heavy bows since i was a kid.I have been hunting with 80# bows for as long as I can remeber.  I was just a natural transition into the war bow world. Problem is as you can see I struggle "getting into the bow" because I dont really need to to get the bow back to 30"......I could probably pull 150# back to 30" but have a real hard time with that last 2" when I get anywehere over 110#. To get that last 2" I will need more of a war bow form and that is hard for somone who has been shooting another way for 22 years. I study Mark Stretton, Steve Stratton, Glennan and Nick Ashley but them dudes make it look easy! Its that last 2" that I get stuck at.

I will keep practicing and get it soon I am sure. When I do unlimited class at the salt flats here I come >:D

Steve

Hi Steve

It's all about rolling your shoulder clockwise once you get the bow as far back as you can with your arms, then the draw length will come, Mark Stretton, Nick Ashley and me are in the middle of producing a DVD on how to draw these bows back using your shoulder and back (Shooting in the bow), keep an eye on my web site for a release date.

Cheers

Steve Stratton

nick1346

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 08:03:18 pm »
I study Mark Stretton, Steve Stratton, Glennan and Nick Ashley but them dudes make it look easy! Its that last 2" that I get stuck at.

Steve

Doh you've made me blush :D it's interesting because I study the other blokes there and every single last video I can find of anyone shooting a warbow. The film will be good though (I know cause I'm the bloke doing all the technical stuff like filming and editiing) and you can also check my webiste ;D (mods seek and destroy :D)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 09:17:16 pm »
 :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 11:48:59 pm »
Cool, I cant wait for the video to come out. Be sure to let us all know when its avalible.

I took my bows to the GLLI (Great Lakes Longbow Invitational) I shot my war bows so darn much. You would not believe how many people wanted to shoot them or were just interested. It was great!! Down side is they lost all my war arrows so I am now in a pinch to make some new one right quick before the next show. I found 2 guys who could get the big one back to 32", one guy (Steve from Northern Mist Longbow) pulled that bow like it was a rubberband back to 34". I betcha he could easily do 14-150 and 2 oter guys shooting 80-90 war bows made from sass-a-frass!!! All in all a very sucsefullfirst atempt to promotre this style of archery here in Michigan. I am meting up with a few of the guys to do some flight shooting next week.

here is a pic of my stand. I was promoting Native American Indian bows and shooting styles (bows on the right) and English Longbows and English Warbows (on the left). took allot of good stuff for people to see and look at, like my Oiled war arrow bags and stuff. People were facinated. It was great fun and many people have been added to the ranks.

It was great! Now off to rip some shafts!

Steve