Author Topic: Dead Osage Tree  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Piddler

Dead Osage Tree
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:27:53 pm »
Need some knowledge from you guys.
I know where there is an osage tree that is dead. It is on a creekbank and fell over with another on top of it. The trunk is not touching the ground.  Looks like there is a couple staves in it. It was a fairly big tree but some low limbs will make one side unusable. If I'm not mistaken I read here where someone used one that had been down 18 years and another made one from an old fencepost. Just curious if it is worth the time getting it out of the woods.
Thanks in advance.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Dead Osage Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 06:41:08 pm »
I think it would be worth investigating. Take a saw out and see if you can get it loose. Then it comes to is the juice worth the squeeze. If you're in desperate need of a stave or two then go for it. Otherwise I would say leave it and go find a good living tree to harvest and dry properly. you'll exert the same amount of work.

As far as age goes, I've personally made bows from wood that was 20-30 years old. Old fence posts included in that. It used to be a thing in the south to cut down all the osage and use them for fence post as they are naturally rot resistant.    There is a good chance that your downed tree is just fine to as long as it hasn't been wet for long. 
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 09:15:58 pm »
I'd say give it a shot. More than likely the wood is still good and probably bow worthy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Piddler

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 05:23:05 pm »
Thanks fellas,
Still waiting on permission to cut it. There is another large one that is not dead so I'm hoping I can get both.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 08:07:25 pm »
Even if it has been on the ground, if big enough, will still be good and dead osage is some great bow wood. Imo.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 08:11:58 pm »
Dead osage is great bow wood.  Just remove enough rings until you get to solid wood. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 09:32:47 pm »
Be aware that bugs may have gotten to it and their kids may have tunneled in it.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 05:07:54 am »
Probably some bows in there )P(

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:14:26 am »
I've used osage that has been on the ground for years. And that osage was bug eatin. Osage is super hard when dry and the bug don't get down to heartwood usually. if the wood is straight and clean it is definitely worth the effort. old osage makes great bows. You just have to chase a ring. But be warned,  osage that has been on the ground that long it will be a monster to chase a ring on. It will be rock hard. 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%