Author Topic: ocean spray arrow sizes, pacific northwest bow woods  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Kestrel

ocean spray arrow sizes, pacific northwest bow woods
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:56 am »
         Hello all,  first post, been lurking and reading for a while now. Have been shooting bows for a long time and have just got into making them.  I have made a hand full of board bows and with the world shutting down and having endless forest behind my house, I have been harvesting bow woods and looking into making arrow shafts.
         the questions,
-what diameter of ocean spray shoot is one looking for for arrow shafts (min max)?
-are there any pacific northwest bow woods that can be dried relatively quickly?

I have a bunch of crab, ocean spray, cherry sealed and drying but looking for something that I can work within the next few months not year plus.  I have access to a kiln and wood stove in the house has been good drying slabs for other projects. If anyone has some creative solutions it would be much appreciated.
      thanks
Vancouver Island

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: ocean spray arrow sizes, pacific northwest bow woods
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 05:23:42 am »
I'm not from the pacific northwest but dogwoods here are close in comparison to ocean spray.
When harvesting shoots get them right off the bat as close to straight as you can.No abrupt kinks if you can help it.
Cut them if you can a good 36" long.32" minimum.
Cut them being 3/8" thick on one end as most will be full length tapered.
Some use a 3/8" wrench as a guide while harvesting.
In the arrows thread there are many references also.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 11:05:08 am »
It doesn’t take a lot of OS to make a bow. You can try hazelnut, cascara, yew. Where in the PNW are you?
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 11:14:24 am »
For OS cut 3/8 like Ed said. Cut second year shoots. The really nice straight ones with the stripey bark are first year and the pith is too big. Cut grey barked shoots. I cut them as long as possible so you can get closer to the spine you want. If you are on the coast side of the mountains just leave 2" of bark on each end. That will stop most of the checking. If you're in the interior you'll have to get advice from someone else ;)
For bows I think the small Maples like Vine, Mountain or Douglas will dry reasonably fast but be prepared for set. You mention Cherry. What kind? Apparently Bitter Cherry doesn't work. I dried a piece and small slivers snapped like a match. I tried backing a sample and it took a lot of set. I never did make a bow with it though. Really though, there is no substitute for time when it comes to drying. But in your circumstances rough them out as close to finished dimensions but with parallel limbs to give you some wiggle room if they warp a bit and cross your fingers.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:18:37 am »
The bow woods you can try the fastest without any real consequences is vine maple and cascara.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Kestrel

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:38:51 pm »
thanks guys helps a ton.   I am on Vancouver Island.  will go hunt for more OS shoots as the ones I have cut are on the large size,  not hard to find around here.  will keep my eyes peeled for cascara, dogwood and always for yew.
DC yes its bitter cherry,  researching people said it worked sinew backed and was out for a walk and couldn't help myself, will get used for other projects im sure
Vancouver Island

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:22 am »
Where on the Island? PM me if it's a secret :D

Offline Kestrel

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 01:48:04 pm »
Mid island in Errington
Vancouver Island

Offline DC