Author Topic: Best Finish  (Read 3831 times)

Offline pumarchery

Re: Best Finish
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 03:01:50 pm »
I love Danish Oil or if I have the time, just beeswax (cuz Danish oil doesn't stink to me like some other finishes definitely do)

Offline HH~

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 03:47:12 pm »
I like a hand rubbed oil finish BLO or polymerized BLO with wax in it. It will waterproof wood but it requires care just like a selfbow.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

The Zen Master

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 05:31:35 pm »
There is good information on Wikipedia about pure Tung oil - many people believe there is no better wood finish, but 'real' Tung oil is a slower process than other finishes that are 'engineered' to dry faster.

Pure Tung oil is 100% natural.

Tru oil is 7% to 13% Linseed oil, 15 to 40% "Modified oil" (is this Tung oil?), and 40% to 70% Stoddard Solvent (I think this is why it dries so fast?).

Anyways, there's my useless 2-cents!  8)

bownarra

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 08:42:38 am »
Tung oil is IMO the finest finish for a selfbow. I love the way it looks, beautifully lustrious dull sheen....ummm….. and it is actually extremely water resistant when applied properly. I am not a fan of tru-oil. Not particularly durable nor water resistant enough for our continuously humid environment here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 08:57:37 am »
There is a difference in a good wood finish and a good wood bow finish. Finishes that are good for furniture, etc aren't necessarily good for bows. Bows spend a lot of time in the weather, rain, snow, heat, cold, etc.  For wood bows we need a finish that will repel water but also slow down the hygroscopic rate, the rate that wood takes on atmospheric moisture(water vapor). Even a bow with a good finish will still have this hygroscopic intake and output of water vapor, not the water but the vapor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 10:17:15 am »
I use whatever oil gives me the color I want and then paste floor wax. Johnson’s and McGuires both work great. Buff until the gloss suits your needs. Two coats of oil then three coats of wax will last forever. I have gunstocks I finished that way 20+ years ago that still look great.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 07:37:38 am »
Speaking of wax; Renaissance wax is probably the best, I use it on the M/L rifles I make, I understand it is the only wax museums will use on guns in their stable.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 08:09:20 am »
For osage, I apply 3 coats of True Oil to seal theories and 3 coats of Spar Urethane to waterproof. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 09:14:48 am »
We have a red cedar sign out front of our house with burned in lettering treated with helmsman spar urethane.It's been in the sun and rain going on 4 years.No fading or any distinguishable changes to it warranting any recoating needed.
I've tried many different types and kinds on bows.For bows of homogenous material I like epifanes spar matt finish applied according to the directions with three thin coats of 50%/50% of thinner and varnish applied about an hour apart.Durable/elastic/and good water proofing abilities.This finish can take up to 3 days to cure depending on humidity but worth the wait.It's base is tung oil with phenolic and alkyd resins to speed drying with superior UV filtering protectors.
I used to like magna lac lacquer because of it's quick drying abilities.I've switched.If lacquer is applied too thick it can chrysall especially on highly reflexed bows.The epifanes does'nt do that and is more elastic.It will dry good and hard too if given the time to cure.
I've tested this epifanes over birch bark oil on wood [something I apply while heat treating bows] and it adheres very well to it but does not need as many coats overall as spar varnish alone.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:53:00 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 10:00:36 am »
Speaking of wax; Renaissance wax is probably the best, I use it on the M/L rifles I make, I understand it is the only wax museums will use on guns in their stable.

Good to know. 👍

Offline HH~

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 01:56:14 pm »
Why, I like BLO with a wax liquified with the oil. I have left my selfbow out in bad weather to Pack out more meat. Come back and its repelling water like no ones bidness. Just have to take care to rub on and rub off thruout a season. Looks good after the sun and hunt conditions get to them. How a self hunter should look.
I do have a bunch with tru-Oil. Great fire and forget finish.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Jurinko

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 03:18:42 pm »
I bought recently "Understanding wood finishing" from Flexner. Since stopping the moisture transfer into the wood is the main purpose of the finish, one of the best finishes is shellac. Keep it ssndwiched between the oiled or pure wood and some top finish, since shellac is no strong enough to remain on top for outdoor use. I put oil first to saturate wood, then 3x shellac and then tung oil/spar varnish mix, which is flexible and waterproof.

Oil and shellac turns boring maple whitewood into golden beauty.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 01:09:34 pm »
Why, I like BLO with a wax liquified with the oil. I have left my selfbow out in bad weather to Pack out more meat. Come back and its repelling water like no ones bidness. Just have to take care to rub on and rub off thruout a season. Looks good after the sun and hunt conditions get to them. How a self hunter should look.

What is BLO
In the woods I find my peace

The Zen Master

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 04:01:18 pm »

What is BLO

Boiled Linseed Oil

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 07:18:36 pm »
Thank you
In the woods I find my peace