Author Topic: Best Finish  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Scallorn

Best Finish
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:27:12 pm »
  I'm sure this has already been discussed,  but I'm curious about y'alls opinion on finishing osage.
I have a new bow finished and I need to seal it. Obviously the quickest method would be to use a spray on finish, but I want to use what's most effective. Thoughts?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Best Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 08:32:49 pm »
I use gun stock Tru Oil. 6 or 7 coats hand rubber in. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:50:09 pm »
I also use Tru Oil like Pappy. On hunting bows I do a quick spray satin poly over the Tru Oil to cut the shine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 09:38:51 pm »
be wary of a good many "spray on" type finishes. They will look good for a few weeks and then crack and discolor. Tru oil will seal and treat the wood, remain flexible and essentially last forever is applied correctly.  Hard to beat for 6.00 a bottle that will probably finish 5 or 6 bows.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:59:03 pm »
How does Tru Oil compare to tung oil, especially the tung oil 'finishes' that have drying additives in the mix? I've used a couple different brands that worked well on tool handles and other similar surfaces but none of them have needed to be weather proofed to a great degree. Does Tru Oil end up as glossy as tung oil after a few coats?

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 10:20:35 pm »
I think of tung oil as a penetrating oil that enhances the wood grain. I imagine is has some moisture resistance. Tru Oil is a surface treatment with limited penetration. Tru Oil will repel water because it builds up a water proof coating with multiple thin layers. Tru Oil does have a very glossy finish so to eliminate the shine I give the bow a quick spray of satin poly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 10:39:03 pm »
You can also polish the final coat of tru oil with oil and pumice powder to get a satin glow instead of the glossy finish.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:43 am »
I used Mimwax Spar Urethane from a rattle can for many years with no problem. Wirwicki used the same stuff in a dip tube - Great stuff ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 05:55:25 am »
Helmsman in a rattle can. Its UV resistant, 100% waterproof, very fast drying and will last a very long time. Its made to be outdoors and take a beating. I like the clear satin and use it on nearly all of my personal bows. Its not cheap, but good stuff never is.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline smoke

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 06:58:39 am »
TruOil is good stuff.  I've used Weylin' technique to cut the shine and it works great and is very easy (Thanks Weylin!).

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 07:15:02 am »
Back in the day I used the massy finish of two ton epoxy dissolved in acetone, it was the most bullet proof finish I have ever used.

I used it on arrows as well and could lose one under the grass, find it 6 months later and find the feathers might be gone but the arrow shaft was like new.

This finish takes awhile to put on, one quick coat at a time before the acetone evaporates, what you mix up wil go bad in a week or so.

I am not as dedicated as I once was, I use tru-oil now.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 08:28:34 am »
Could you give a tru-oil finish a quick going over with fine steel wool to dull the shine, or would that destroy the  finish?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 09:20:59 am »
Tru Oil is good stuff. You can use extra fine steel wool, and get a satin finish on it. I have used it on different gun stocks as well as self bows, and glass bows. When I don't have it on stock I use 3 to 4 coats of shellac , and then Min Wax Poly which also works well , and fine steel wool also gets you a satin finish.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 12:11:45 pm »
  Thanks for all the input. It sounds like the general consensus is for Tru-Oil
  I happen to have a new bottle in my gun cleaning kit and I'll just use a few coats of it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 02:29:23 pm »
I have posted this before; Don't pull off the aluminum seal in your bottle of tru-oil, just poke a tiny pin hole in it and store you bottle up side down when not in use. This way the contents won't gum up even if it takes you a year to use the bottle up.