Author Topic: checkin, HELP!  (Read 3748 times)

Offline recurve shooter

checkin, HELP!
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:58:31 pm »
MY HARD EARNED SOURWOOD IS CHECKIN, HELP PLEASE! :'( i left the 6 good shafts out of my original 20 on the porch to dry. when i got home, like 3 of my best shafts were checking at the ends. what do i do? im gonna leave em inside, the moister should escape slower that way. should i glue the ends? i duno, i just dont want to waste my whole first batch. on the other hand everything els is going pretty good. got em hand streightend pretty well. just gotta let em finish drying, sand em down, and spine em, then i'll just have to knock, point, and fletch em. i'll ask about that as i get to it, but for now, PLEASE PEOPLE, HELP ME SAVE MY ARRAS!!
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

Re: checkin, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:24 pm »
Depends on how deeply they're checking. Most of my arrows have a little checking- maybe an inch or two- when I cut them from the log (hickory). If they're long enough, just cut the ends off. If not, seal them with glue, varnish, or paint.

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:17:13 pm »
ok cut them as long as you can and debark them except for the last 2-4" on both sides.   i think not debarking the ends help keep some moisture in. Thats how i do my rose shoots and i have never had one check that way
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:41:21 pm by david w. »
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:26:59 pm »
ok, cool. im gonna seal em as soon as i can. its just a learning experience. im gonna trade a friend my carbons for some well seasoned sourwood, so if these fail, ill burn em and start again.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:52:33 pm »
Don't burn them- they can always be used later for a hand drill (with attachable bit), smaller arrows, or foreshafts :).

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:53:21 pm »
....better idea. :P
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 12:55:52 am »
...a stiffener shaft for a Plain"s type quiver, or for last resort, tomato stakes! ;)
   This is where experimentation comes into play. Make an arrow out of at least one of them and see what it teaches you.  ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:30:44 pm »
i am. i was expectin to mess up on at least a batch or two before getting it right. i really aprecate all the help from you guys, in shooting, and arras! ;)
lets just shoot it