Author Topic: More sinew  (Read 2001 times)

Offline DC

More sinew
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:34:29 am »
Do you think the glue soaks into the sinew or does it just sit on the surface of each strand holding it together? Especially when you presoak the sinew in water. Your answer may depend on whether you think the glue is dissolved in the water or just mixed with it because sometimes whatever is soaking up the water filters out whatever is mixed or dissolved in it.

Offline PatM

Re: More sinew
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 11:40:04 am »
Hide glue is a solution not a mixture so we don't get to think two different ways.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 11:41:26 am »
thats a good question,, I always wonder about that,,
I think if you put the sinew in the glue ,, without presoaking,, it soaks up some glue,,
I have had good results doing it both ways, ,
but I dont think it hurts anything to not pre soak,, and just put in the glue to soften up

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 12:54:23 pm »
What prompted the question was reading on the German forum "Fletchers Corner" that one guy said that he shredded his sinew like hair and then he and his wife applied it to the bow one strand at a time. A little anal but each to his own. It made me think that he might wind up with a glue rich sinew layer. That got me thinking about thick vs thin strands and that if the glue just held the strands together there may be a weight advantage to thicker strands. See what happens when you get old and can't sleep ;D ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:35:33 pm »
just try some different approaches and see what shoots the hardest,, :)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 03:38:51 pm »
just try some different approaches and see what shoots the hardest,, :)
Slightly too many variables. The Margins wouldn’t be very consistent
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 04:05:56 pm »
I've experimented with all manner of sinew shredding degrees and they all  work the same.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 04:32:22 pm »
That got me thinking about thick vs thin strands and that if the glue just held the strands together there may be a weight advantage to thicker strands.

You are essentially talking about a resin to fibre ratio (the same as concerns those working with modern composite materials in various industries) and there certainly should be an optimum ratio to aim for. Testing for it may be extremely difficult, considering how many other variables there are to control for. If you can make a sinew/glue composite that is not stuck to anything else then you might be able to make up test pieces with different amounts of glue/fibers and tension test them to see what ratio produces the best strength/weight performance.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 05:26:09 pm »
from that long tim baker sinew thread a few years back.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63182.msg888073.html#msg888073

the hupa method didn't seem to get the sinew very saturated from the way I read this account.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21:51 pm »
Yes testing would be difficult,,,but how the bow performs is revealing,,

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 12:37:58 pm »
Hadn't read thd TB post, very interesting.

Offline maitus

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 01:30:09 pm »
I believe that there is no difference in bow performance  how You soak the sinew. Its just easier to work with sinew if it's soaked previously in water. There will be a pig mess in Your glue pot if You will soak sinew in it :D.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 02:05:36 pm »
i think thats good advice :) (-_)

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 12:32:39 am »
That got me thinking about thick vs thin strands and that if the glue just held the strands together there may be a weight advantage to thicker strands.

You are essentially talking about a resin to fibre ratio (the same as concerns those working with modern composite materials in various industries) and there certainly should be an optimum ratio to aim for.

Certainly should :)

If it acts the same regardless of how you treat it.....it must be magic :)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 10:09:23 am »
This is this is one of the more understandable answers I found

The solubility of a protein in water depends on the 3D shape of it. Usually globular proteins are soluble, while fibrous ones are not. Denaturation changes the 3D structure so the protein is not globular any more.

I'm guessing we use the fiberous priteins in the first place. I'm also guessing the the process of making hide glue denatures the globular proteins if present in hide and sinew scrap.   If not water soluble then I don't see them soaking in to the sinew strands.  I'm sure there's pores in the sinew fibers they can embed in,  and that's probably why it works so well with sinew.

Best guess is the dry sinew will pull mostly water out of the glue essentially making it a thicker glue.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-