Author Topic: Leap Year  (Read 2756 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Leap Year
« on: February 29, 2020, 04:57:22 pm »
Well I might not be 100% done and the tru oil is still drying so not many pictures yet but she’s got a name. Leap Year. Close enough to finished on 2-29-2020. Leap day.

I’ll try to get more pictures and soon. When the tru oil dries but here’s a teaser

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

Re: Leap Year
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 02:16:11 am »
Kewl - like it so far....... :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 07:20:56 am »
Tease. . .

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 08:55:31 am »
looking forward  :OK
--- the queen rules ----

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 10:14:02 am »
Glue on. Gotta love em.
Im thinkun center shot?

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 11:42:05 am »
Looking good so far.  How'd you do the buck image?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 01:54:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for looking.
This one is HHB from Rock Fall Creek and a good friend of mine. It’s a really clean stave with pretty nice grain. It had a little deflex I tried to remove with dry heat but it came right back.

I had to build up the handle a bit. Used black walnut, white oak and some wood a good friend of mine gave me that he thought was from desert.

I put water buffalo horn tip overlays I got from PA Steve.

I cut one western diamond back and put half on each limb. When I cheat like this and only use one skin I don’t like a straight cut snake skin so I cut it jagged and file the edges to give it a distressed look.

Originally I planned on wrapping handle with ostrich hide but I like the handle naked. I’ll hold off for now on the wrap.

I used my airbrush, some stencils I made and wood stain to put some very subtle designs on belly. I like how it turned out. You kinda have to look to see it. I had to go over the lower limb deer again with a slightly darker stain where heat darkened belly. It turned out pretty cool looking and I’m still toying with idea of doing it to rest of bow. I did put four coats of tru oil overtop so I can still plan around with my airbrush and wipe it off if I don’t like it.

HHB
66” ttt
45@26”
I’m sorry I don’t have any profile pictures. Maybe tomorrow. The pictures I do have don’t really do her justice. Here’s what I have from “Leap Year”

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 01:58:02 pm »
More

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 02:09:30 pm »
 Nice one Bj...I like the deer and track shadows on the belly...Be checking back in on the profiles
                                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 03:18:36 am »
Outstanding  :OK, really like the Air Brushing and the way You did the tips ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 06:09:22 am »
Nice work on your bow BJ...I see you've adopted a string keeper on lower limb tip.Through the years I have too.I found a source that caters to survival climbing equipment.A very small UV resistant rubber tube.They fits very tight depending on size of tip of course,but I usually make my tips rather small so I figure they will fit most any primitive bow.Black is the only color.Got them on all my bows nowadays.It helps to keep that loop on the bow while taking it in and out of a bow sock.
I've got more than plenty of them.Be glad to send you some.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:16:49 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 06:54:48 am »
Very nice BJ. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 07:25:09 am »
Thanks everyone.

HH it’s not quite center shoot and shots of knuckles, but it’s narrower at pass and I still could cut in a shelf.

Thanks Ed, yes I use a castrations band to keep string loop on tip when bow is unstrung. My brother is a veteran so weren’t hard for me to get. I got idea from Clint. Works really well at least with my tips. I needed to do something. I get asked to do presentations and it not fun loading a bunch of bows and all the strings fall off.

I’ll try to get profile pictures today

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 09:49:25 am »
Got a couple quick profile pictures. Arrow is 26”. Probably only drawn to about 25”. Had her to 27” on tree and held there.
The top limb has some natural deflex I tried unsuccessfully to remove. I think I can see it in the full draw and braced profile.
I might play around with this one yet, but she’s done for now.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 10:02:44 am »
Very nice!  Like the name, only one better would "Sadie Hawkins"!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry