Author Topic: Seasoning a rose "log"  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Seasoning a rose "log"
« on: February 28, 2020, 11:43:39 pm »
Yesterday i spotted a rose  so big i have nevver deen before. I once had a kind of thick piece but had to leave it because i had to move to a other smaller house. But i always told myself that if i find a bigger one i Will make a bow from it. Please dont come up with that i should let it Stay because they are kind of destroying the forest  under the name of maintainance and so Manny ttrees that i leaved because i tought it would be a bad thing to cut Them and are now felled and la
Laying there to fund the government. Here are the pics of it, it isnt verry long but its thick. So Thinking about to make a hollow limb shortbow from it once im more experienced. I would like to know how i should season it. split in half and seal it with Bark and all?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:51:04 am by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Seasoning a rose "log"
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:31:54 am »
I haven’t seen or heard of a bow from rose before but since so little is known about rose of that size, I’d suggest you err on the side of caution. Remove the bark to prevent bugs and seal the ends and sides really well. Season slowly somewhere with good airflow like a rafter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 06:36:42 am »
I've never cut rose for a bow stave but rose shafting is susceptible to checking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 07:00:43 am »
That would be a special bow if you can pull it off.I would take all the precautions that are taken in drying plum is all I can tell you.That being to let it dry slowly.No sun/no wind.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 07:42:41 am »
Mighty fine arrow wood it is. Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 08:47:16 am »
Looks like multi flora rose to me, Invasive species and will spread easily, cut it and don't look back. Seems to be tuff when green but not sure what happens when dry out, hope it comes together for ya, makes good arrows. Wonder how big of pith on one that large? Bob

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 09:33:53 am »
The piece i had to throw away was really springy , the Wood is hard and verry light in weight. I havent cut this one yet because wasnt sure how to handle this big.
The pith of the one before was as big as the 2 year old shafts i cut, so that's about 1/2 centimeter

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 12:26:11 pm »
That is a rose on steroids for sure...Ha Ha.I think you might be surprised as to the density of that rose log.More than what 1 figures.At least it's that way with arrow shafts compared to wood same diameter.But as a bow with a large pith in yours that could reduce the mass weight some.If it was solid clear through I know it would mass weigh as good as wood that is solid.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:29:29 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 02:35:42 am »
Not sure for a log of this size but for arrows I leave bark on couple inches near the ends until full dried to limit checks and also seal the ends

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 08:09:15 am »
When I’ve cut other hard to season and small diameter bow wood what I have done is leave the bark on seal the ends and rough out the belly, not much really just gotta give the moisture somewhere to go. Don’t worry about any checks on the belly they’ll go down to the pith and stop.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 01:08:54 am »
I harvested the piece yesterday.. its a little bit shorter then i expected.. but i will give it a try annyways. Its 51 inches long, then a big branch and a huge side bend are there, i think ik cut that off. The Bottom is 2.17 inch and where im planning to shorten it, Just below the knot, it is 1.7 inches. Here are some pictures ( by the way, the measure tape is in centimeter

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 10:12:08 am »
I've seen all sorts of toes, thongs, sandals, boots and slippers in these pictures but i think this is a first for wooden shoes ;D ;D Real Rosewood will be interesting too.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 10:26:15 am »
These shoes are called klompen in our language, wich mean clumb or clump and they are traditional footwear in my grandfathers time, now often associated with farmers. They are in the protective footwear categorie too, Just as normal shoes with steel protection for tour toes haha

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 12:07:39 pm »
My mother had one klompen said said came from Holland (the Netherlands), that she had since she was very young.  Don't know why there was only one, unless her brother had the other one.  Very nice!  Her father's family was apparently from Flanders and Zeeland!  Good luck with the rose log!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 05:14:49 pm »
Thanks time Will tell if it is going to be a succes or not. I Will post about it when i start on it.