Author Topic: Penetration  (Read 6541 times)

Offline Kegan

Penetration
« on: April 20, 2008, 07:28:47 pm »
Does a smaller diameter shaft give better penetration (provided all else is the same) than a larger one?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Penetration
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »
Kegan, The arrow follows the head so with some heads it probably doesn't matter but with others it would. The only way it would matter is if the shaft "drags" through the wound instead of passing unobstructed.  ??? ::)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:20:11 pm »
That really helps, my points are small, and my old 3/8" shafts were BIG. Hence, smaller diamter would provide better penetration than the hulking logs. Thanks again (this is twiced you've helped me in fifteen minutes ;D)!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:44:03 pm »
i got no idea. i know that hevyer arras make biger holes.
lets just shoot it

jamie

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:43:46 pm »
kegan i did a lot of penetration tests years ago and the answer is yes. small shafts get better penetration. tapered shafts are the next best. barrel tapering heeds penetration but will still kill.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:58:49 pm »
I agree with jamie .. but for hunting arrows heavier shafting with sharp points are the ticket... nothing cuts through bone and hide like a heavy arrow...remember penetration is not as critical as shot placement.. hope this helps. Hawk..A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:02:37 pm »
im sure you could have heavy wood arrows with smaller diameter and wider dimater but light arrows. i ould think like, a red oak shaft which is heavy, as a light arrow would penetrate beter than a thick pine arrows
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 11:11:59 pm »
What Jamie said.  Most any arrow with a sharp point shot from a good bow will do the job rather quickly.  There is the old debate as to if you want complete pass through or not.  An arrow with a sharp point lodged into the chest does a lot of damage as the animal runs.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 11:23:46 pm »
that is my philosophy justin. that  why i hunt with 45 lbs or les of draw. but with that kinda low power ya gots to be a good shot. aing gonna make it through no sholderblades wit 45 pounds of power, unless your arra weight 5 pounds ;)
lets just shoot it

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:33:48 am »
Kegan: I don't have a lot of experience but do know that arrow head design means a lot. Talking about stone here - longer narrower points go MUCH deeper than do shorter/wider points. Sure weight means a lot too, but have yet to test any of this. This shaft was less than 3/8" , more like around 5/16" - seemed to fly better out out my 55# bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 12:40:07 am »
perfectly placed shot friend. the reason a long narra head penetrates better is cz of the same reason a 30 degree ramp is easyer to roll a wheelchair up than a 45 degree one. ya know, like wedges and stuff.  and how far did ya have to trail that deer?
lets just shoot it

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 12:46:57 am »
Didn't have to trail him far recurve - about two steps :D. Shot him at about twelve yards - both his back legs were broken from my brothers shot. Was just a test for my sticks and stones :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 12:53:51 pm »
Cowboy, nice deer and sure nice to see some blood on stone ... got me wishing for deer season to get here.. Hawk..
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Cromm

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 07:04:40 pm »
Hi, Cowboy you make some great stone heads,I will be using the one's you sent me in about a weeks time. Great photo too! Cromm.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 09:26:50 pm »
Thanks everyone. Weight isn't an issue- even at 23/64" they weigh about 850 grains finished weight. Besides penetration, they also seem to fly better- and more accurately- out of my 80# longbow. Hopefully they keep their accuracy on stronger bows as well.