Author Topic: Old Jeans  (Read 3155 times)

Offline deerhunter97370

Old Jeans
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:10:45 am »
Can jeans be used to back a board bow? Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Jeans
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:24:48 am »
Yes. The jeans as backing will come out heavier(physically) than linen or silk but they will work fine for bow backing.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:18:14 pm »
Thanks Pat. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:41:39 pm »
Yup...just used a pair of my wife's old black jeans to back my daughters ipe bow (popped a splinter).  Seems to work allright.

Offline gpw

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:42:54 pm »
 I am hesitant to mention this again , but Polyester Camo netting makes a great bow backing ... Cheap ,Attractive (not to game )Strong and if you glue it on the bias each thread shares the load ..

DISCLAIMER :   THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A PRIMITIVE BACKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just FYI, no whining please... ::)

alfadee

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:36:49 pm »
how do you glue jeans on your stave? can i use pva glue?
i was looking for some usable linen but i couldnt find something. some jeans i wouldnt miss probably.

david

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:02:12 pm »
I used TB3 for mine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »
No problem GPW, Jeans aren't either.  ;)
   Yes, pva glue(TB glues) work well for cloth backings.     
David. Cut strips of the jeans to fit closely to the limb size. Its better to use 2 pieces joined at the handle. Add plenty of glue to the limb, lay the jean material on the glued limb and remove any wrinkles and air bubbles then add more glue over the top of the material and put it aside to dry. Depending on how stiff the material is you may have to wrap(with gauze or ace bandage) the limbs but if not necessary I wouldn't. After the glue begins to set you can remove the wrap and trim the edges with a sharp blade. After it is completely cured(at least 24 hours) you can finish trimming and sanding the edges and add a finish to the bow.  You should wait a week or so(unless you have a hot box) to be sure all of the moisture from the glue has left the wood.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:05:42 pm »
I will add one hint.
Make sure the Jean material is damp before gluing it down.
I do not really know why but it will absorb the glue better.

Hide Glue "KNOX" also works well.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama