Author Topic: Thoughts on my second bow so far? (Elm pyramid) done tillering  (Read 7632 times)

Offline DC

Re: Thoughts on my second bow so far? (Elm pyramid) done tillering
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2020, 05:42:53 pm »
You can use a microwave to dry them. Start with 15 sec. See how hot they get and let them cool. Repeat. Check them regularly to make sure they don't get to hot.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 04:30:44 am »
First micro wave try was bout 8 seconds and the Wood checked already

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 07:38:03 am »
Your grain orientation for your overlays is correct. I have put them on about 150 bows that way, the only two I had split was when I had a string slip out of one side of the nock putting all the pressure on the other side.

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 03:00:45 pm »
I spend the whole freaking day in making matching fit on the new ones wich was for some reason a pain in the ass. I hope these ones wont pop off.. if they do il make this bow a beautifull 60 inch shortbow with some beautifull side nocks ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 03:15:24 pm »
What part of it is giving you problems? Is it the gluing surface or are you trying to match the shape?

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 04:51:35 pm »
Yes , the first set was almost in 1 try and these kept having a Tiny gap in the middle, also It took ages to het the top one and the Bottom one the same size and when i had 2 of the same, there appeared to be a crack in one so had to start over. Maybe It was some bad luck.

Offline DC

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26:14 pm »
I have a belt sander so that helps a lot but I still true up the gluing surfaces with sandpaper glued to a flat stick. I do most of the shaping after it's glued to the bow.

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 02:48:00 pm »
This is how the first overlay looks so far, i hope i get the second one the same but after that i dont really know how to shape Them further.

Offline DC

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 02:59:38 pm »
Looks good! Shape is pretty much up to you :D Go look at pictures of bows. Most people post a tip picture when they post their bows.

Offline HH~

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 10:19:19 pm »
Cool

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2020, 08:45:50 pm »
Finnished shaping the tips today (maybe going to make the overlays hollow,from the side view to make Them lighter) after all im happy with how they came out.  But im still affraid they Will pop off because i dont trust glue yet, because i nevver worked with glue before. I Will see tomorrow. i Am going to make a new string because the first one was Just a try out, ordered An second collor and extra string wax so the bundels stick together better. Here are some pictures.

Offline DC

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:39 am »
I would have put the nock I little closer in, maybe 6 mm or so from where it is but that's just personal taste. I've seen them with the nock cantilevered out past the end of the bow. The little piece of wood on the outer end looks fragile to me. A little bump and that could break off. That wouldn't affect anything but appearance though. Good job.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2020, 07:54:51 am »
Nice look to your tips Richardo.Doing tips with overlays for me is also a time consuming process.Balancing them out to look exactly like each other.
My ancestory goes back to the netherlands also.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:48:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2020, 09:35:06 am »
Then you all have been lucky that something happend that you live in America now haha. Going to tiller It a bit more because one limb was bending a bit more, maybe because tips are not that even maybe?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2020, 11:40:49 am »
You got that right.You must be listening to the fake news though.I do feel lucky to live in America.
Tips should'nt have much bearing on your tiller if your tiller was good previously.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:42:26 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed