Author Topic: Piking a recurve  (Read 3153 times)

Offline DC

Piking a recurve
« on: February 11, 2020, 07:49:49 pm »
What happens when you pike a recurve? Let's assume you have 2" radius 90° hooks and the string lifts off right at full draw. Then you take an inch off each end and readjust the brace height. I'm thinking nothing will be different until the string lifts off but then my brain fails me. The hooks will no longer be 90° so the string lifts off sooner. Would this make a hump in the FDC or would it start to climb again? Would the DW go up? Any thoughts please?

Offline Weylin

Re: Piking a recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:15:03 pm »
never thought about that. Interested in what people's thoughts are.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 08:16:15 pm »
Not sure but I am thinking this would  only change the string angle after liftoff.  Before liftoff angle is determined by the contact point on the bridge which hasn’t changed.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 09:07:33 pm »
I did it some,,.as the profile changed,,,the bow shot slower

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:08:33 pm »
Not sure but I am thinking this would  only change the string angle after liftoff.  Before liftoff angle is determined by the contact point on the bridge which hasn’t changed.
Yeah, I said that, but no bridge, a nice smooth radius.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 09:09:48 pm »
I did it some,,.as the profile changed,,,the bow shot slower
Brad, did you readjust the DW?

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 09:15:56 pm »
Pike it, then just steam in the same recurves.
That wasn't the question. I'm wondering about "shortening" the recurve.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 09:17:21 pm »
ohhh, Ok i getcha! sorry.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:56:50 pm »
I guess I added a bridge in my head. Now i think there will be a difference.

Like you said, when the original bow hits full draw it has just finished lifting off. Imagine adding 1” to the hook while drawn (now 118° of 2” radius hook.) That extra inch would not have lifted off yet, since it would be at a greater  angle to the string than the part that just lifted off.  So taking  away 1”  (now 61° of r=2” hook) should mean liftoff ends sooner because when the original bow is at full draw, that spot 1” below has already lifted off.

So I think the piked bow will finish lifting off sooner, but both will start lifting off together and otherwise have the same force draw curve up until the piked bow lifts off. (Because any tip beyond string contact is not participating)  After the point where the piked bow lifts off, I would  expect the piked f/d curve to take off more steeply than the original.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 02:29:43 am »
DC,...I can't remember if I adjusted the weight,.just remember it was slower,.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 08:26:52 am »
wait, are they static?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 09:24:18 am »
I don't think you'll see a difference worth measuring except for the draw weight going up.  I think people attribute too many features of hooks and siyahs  closer to how a compound behaves.  It's just not that dramatic.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 11:09:10 am »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 11:27:01 am »
I didnt take notes on that one,, and cant remember the details,, I was shooting through a chrono at the time,,I just remember the results were not positive,,that being said, I think it would depend on the bow,, or would vary depending on the bow,,,

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 11:40:27 am »
I don't think you'll see a difference worth measuring except for the draw weight going up.  I think people attribute too many features of hooks and siyahs  closer to how a compound behaves.  It's just not that dramatic.
I'm not expecting a lot. I'm getting closer to 200fps and I'm looking for 1 or 2 fps gains. I'm finding that there is more change just from measuring errors/changes. I finished one yesterday that shot 194. That was 1 fps gain over my best. I shot it a few times and it was steady at 194. Then I remeasured the DW and found that it had lost a pound to 39. I dropped the weight of the arrow 10 gr and this time it shot 198. I was pumped. The next day the bow was back up to 40#. I trust my scale so I think it's the angle I'm looking at the string scale. It changes a bit depending on how much I want to bend over (lol) I know I'm being anal but inconsistencies like this bother me.