Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 78782 times)

Offline M2A

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2020, 08:37:14 pm »
I been lazy long enough. Spring is always a busy time in my world, but seem do do better work when I'm busy. 5 inches shy of F/D at the weight I want. Pic below is first draw in hand. really like how that top limb is bending, would like to see that bottom limb come around just a hair more but pretty happy so far. String alignment looks good as well. Going to sneak up on F/D over the week and hope to get that handle trimmed down some as well. Nice to be back at it.
Mike
IMG_E3528 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3526 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2020, 11:05:01 pm »
  Looks awesome Mike...So balanced early on

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:00 am »
I really haven't posted on here, but i posted on the online rendezvous. I always have trouble with making a string. trying to tiller it to 45# so ill, probably tiller it to 45# at the minimum draw weight and then 50# at the middle draw but i wont draw it to 50#. gotta tiller the outside more and i gotta find my new scale. been working on my HHB bow on the handle and tips so im well practiced for this bow.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2020, 01:32:21 pm »
My orher commitments are finally down to a manageable level, so I'm about to glue up some apple billets. Any tips on getting the crowns to align properly?

Offline DC

« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2020, 01:47:42 pm »
When I used to saw "Z" spices I would use a straight edge to draw a line from the tip of the limb to the high point of the handle. That line became the centre line of the "Z". The centre of the "Z" is the most important part of the splice. It's the one that lines everything up and it's also the hardest part of the splice to adjust.
Hope that's clear :D

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2020, 06:07:55 pm »
Making some more progress. Finish is done and working on the handle wrap. Got the leather wet fit. Now I just need to figure out what I want to lace it with.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2020, 04:54:43 am »
Hey Kyle, looking good!  What is 'wet fit' ?

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2020, 07:36:46 am »
Soaked leather stretched tight around the bow handle and left to dry so it shrinks to a perfect fit.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2020, 07:40:55 am »
That’s exactly what I mean. It’ll make the leather right enough that it won’t budge without having to glue it. Though I usually get a couple drops of glue on the top locking in in place better when I glue on the leather arrow pass.

Kyle

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2020, 01:58:00 pm »
Here's some pictures of plan "a" (after some field adjustments). I like it but once I realized who I was making this for, I decided that I probably cant impress them. Their skill level being waaaaaaaaaaaaayy above me. They make impressive bows. I am but a lowly stick bender. I'm gonna make anotherun or three and just send the best one.

Offline sleek

« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2020, 03:11:38 pm »
I'm digging the token you inlaid in there. As for impressing the person, meh  don't worry about that, thats a good looking bow. Looks like you don't have me as a person, cause thats a slick stick there bud. My personal bows, I never finish them, I leave tool marks and all soon as its shooting right... so if any bow out there is for me, if you do any finish work on it, its already a step up from anything that I make :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2020, 03:41:13 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, sleek. Its 59 3/4 inches knock to knock. The last time I checked, it was drawing 69 lbs at 27 inches. It does hold some chrysaling in mid limb but I adjusted and it seems to have stopped. No speeds yet shooting chrony alpha is in the mail so I'll have those in a couple weeks. Elk leg sinew backed, gave it 3.25 inches of reflex and after being strung for 12 hrs, it still holds 2.5 inches of reflex. 2 inches immediately after unstringing. Shoots higher than I'm used to at longer range. Little bit shockey though not terrible but its there.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2020, 05:02:01 pm »
That looks like a great bow there Bubba.  Impressive  that is holds that reflex at that draw weight. 

Offline M2A

« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2020, 08:28:42 pm »
Nice unique ideas there Bubba, pretty cool.

Got My maple piece tillered out to 1"shy of F/D at 1.5lb over my target weight. Got a string made at lunch today and ran a few arrows through it just to see how it feels, so its a bow now. Could have shot it all afternoon. Always like getting bows to this stage when things are going well. Still hope to remove a few pounds getting that last inch out of it. Was tempted to just take it to F/D today but didnt want to risk unnecessary set.   With any luck I can get to start breaking it in this weekend. Looks like it should hold a small bit of unstrung reflex when completed.

Got a small diameter paperbark birch branch yesterday from some storm damage. Hope to use some to pretty this bow up when its time. Got some other ideas floating around in my head as well.

Got a few updated pics but the phone didnt want to give up the one with the bow drawn....
Mike
IMG_E3542 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_3543 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr   

Offline sleek

« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2020, 09:16:28 pm »
Nice shape there M2A, I especially like that handle. Its the shape I like to make.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others