Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 78780 times)

Offline sleek

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2020, 04:56:57 pm »
I'm getting there. The left limb ( top ) needs a bit more bending on the outer third and the left lower needs a bit more out the inner third.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2020, 05:28:57 pm »
2 inches away from full draw. Still need more adjustments.

Offline sleek

« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2020, 05:39:36 pm »
Got it to 2 inches away from full draw, and I am on the lower end of the draw weight scale given to me. If I pull it to the max full draw, I will still be inside my weight range. But, here at the bottom of the scale, its taken very little set. Should I call it good, go the extra two inches and see what happens, or split the difference and go one more inch?

The upper image is before I got to floor tiller, and the lower is just now immediately after unbracing.

Offline sleek

« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2020, 05:47:19 pm »
Notice that tip on the lower limb was always deflexed.

Offline sleek

« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2020, 06:27:13 pm »
Whelp, here it is. 45#@27. I'm pretty happy with the final result. I just got to shape the handle and do the final finishing.

Offline sleek

« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2020, 06:57:00 pm »
Here is the handle shaped out. It is a natural center shot. I love these bows when all the curves and twists are left in the wood as it grew :)  I have shot it maybe 10 times now. Its a decent shooter, I'd guess 165 fps.  At 15 yards, with a slight cant to the bow, most my shots group at 4 inches. Still got to shape the tips, then finish it, name, sign, and ship it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:02:12 pm by sleek »

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2020, 07:57:33 pm »
looks great sleek, you sure knocked that out fast once you hit your groove! :OK
i need to get back on mine  :fp

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2020, 09:24:29 am »
I sure wish I was as skilled as some of you at taking photos of my bows for posting.....because I can't seem to get it quite right!  I spent some time over the weekend putting arrow shelfs and leather grips on the two bows I've been working on in parallel.  I decided not to put a full leather grip on the narrow one since the padauk riser was not as large as normal since the stave was fairly thick and the padauk was just so pretty.  I put a soft deerskin grip on the other one and shot them both about 100x more each.  The heavier one now has about 500 arrows shot and the lighter one about 400.  The heavier one holds about 2" of reflex immediately unbraced, and the lighter one is right at zero and springs back a little after a couple minutes.  I'm happy with how they shoot.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2020, 09:36:09 am »
Im stumped with the bow im making right now  >:( . does it want to flip because the sides arnt even or because of the limbs not being center? do i need to heat this and straighten it? how long do i make the string? i dont know. just gotta keep tillering
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2020, 11:21:29 am »
Nice bend Sleek!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2020, 06:13:34 pm »
I made a little more progress on the hickory bow. I got it shooting and it’s pretty quick, but has a bit of handshock. The bow is asymmetric by 1” with the top limb longer. I think the top limb could bend a bit more compared to the bottom limb. And the lower limb could bend a little more in the outer third. There is also that big ol knot in te top limb about 1/3 out and a row of knots in the lower limb about 3” from the fade. Right now set is about 1” with both limbs showing about the same. In the unbraced pic, it was taken shortly after unbracing.

And I did leave a mottling if cambium in the back. I’m excited to see how that looks after putting a layer of snake shed over it. I havnt decide did I will stain it yet or not.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2020, 06:14:38 pm »
And the limbs. First picture is the top limb and the lower is the bottom limb.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2020, 04:03:42 pm »
Made a bit more progress. Limbs are evened out a bit more and feels better at the shot. Now to just shoot the crud out of it and tweak as needed. Only lost a couple pounds getting things evened up a bit.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2020, 04:12:47 pm »
I will ALWAYS take a better shooting lighter bow over a poorly shooting heavier one. A few pounds is a good trade off.

Offline M2A

« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2020, 07:16:42 am »
Nice character on that piece of hickory Kyle, good looking unstrung profile, nice one.

You made quick work out of that Osage Sleek, I'd sure like to be that efficient with my time. Looking forward to seeing it all finished up.

Sorry for the delay fellas but I'm back on course now. Stitches are gone and got the green light from the doc. Spent last night working on the tiller and hope to do the same tonight. About 6" shy of F/D atm. Hope to get a pic posted in the next day or 2.
Mike