Author Topic: Interesting video Tanzania bow and arrow making  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Interesting video Tanzania bow and arrow making
« on: January 29, 2020, 02:21:22 pm »
Found this video wile surfing through you tube for related content.  Thought it was interesting enough to share but I wish it were longer and more detailed.  Teeth straightening of shafts was something I've never seen before.

As always,  add the H to the beginning of the url.

ttps://youtu.be/qbnEFbJdWB4

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Interesting video Tanzania bow and arrow making
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 07:41:02 am »
Your link brings up a bunch of chinese script.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:16:51 am »
Good video. I kinda doubt that that is poison they are putting on the arrows. I'm think that it's pitch for hafting. They just seemed to be too unconcerned when they were putting it on. In any other videos I've seen about poison arrows they seem to give them the care that's deserved.** A little more detail and narration would have been nice. I'll watch it again though, maybe a couple of times :D

Eric, sometimes I have the same problem with Youtube links. I have to make sure that everything is right(the "H" in this case) before I hit enter. Other links I can play fast and loose and let Google find them but not Youtube.

**I watched it again and the "poison" is not for hafting because it's only applied to the arrowhead shaft. It probably is poison. Really nice arrowheads :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:36:42 am by DC »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 12:16:52 pm »
Interesting!  Four fletch.  Using the sandal sole as a cutting board is a great idea.  The stone anvil and the tools the metal workers are using!  It always amazes me how "primitive" people (I'm being ironic, there) can make such beautiful things with so little in the way of tools.  And those little barbs made to hold the poison.  Really cool design.

thanks for sharing!
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 01:25:28 pm »
DC, I am curious about thst poison, too.  My first thoughts were "I hope they don't use that pot for cooking afterwards"  It may just be that it's relatively harmless unless you get it in your blood supply.  Still, I think I'd just cook it down syrup consistency, and apply as many coats as needed with a brush or something.   But, I bet this was how it's been done for a very long time.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:41:46 pm »
Some poisons only affect the animal they hunt from what I remember.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others